A quick hello from a newbie

I am ignorant and uneducated, but at least eager to learn from studied people like you, sir!

The smiley tells me you were joking. :smile: (I hope so, anyway!).

I gave up history at an early stage in school in favour of Music. I’ve only taken an interest recently after retiring. I would genuinely like to know a good source on Roman Britain because we are discovering more and more evidence of Roman settlement around us in mid Wales. Apart from studying Caesar’s Gallic Wars in Latin classes, I have had no exposure to Roman history other than movies, TV, films and that memorable scene in “Life of Brian” beginning with “What have the Romans ever done for us?”

2 Likes

Croeso i’r fforwm :smile:

Keep going with your learning and ask lots of questions :smile:

2 Likes

I wish I was joking, but I was not. Unfortunately, it’s true that my education is lousy and poor. I started working as a cleaning lady at 16 (still doing this job), and now, I’m a single mom of two sons. All that’s important to me, is, that my sons are getting a good education, a good start into life, chances and choices.

Would archaeologist be a good source on Roman Britain…I mean the ones working on the find spots of these Roman settlements you mentioned? Maybe they’re publishing their findings in scientific magazines…?

…the aqueducts, sanitation, irrigation, public health…wine and education…:joy::+1::thinking:

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, Claudia. I would normally continue our conversation by Private Message, but I hope you will forgive me for expressing a personal view on this public forum.

The fact that you are a Swiss National presumably means that you are fluent in 2 or 3 languages and you have clearly demonstrated superb fluency in English and on top of this you have chosen to study Welsh. I’m sorry to contradict you but all this along with the humour and insights of your posts show that you are neither ignorant nor uneducated. :smile:

This forum will clearly benefit from your presence. I hope you benefit as much from the forum in your study of our language.

Huw

3 Likes

Goodness…I can deal with unfriendliness so much better than with kindness. Kindness always leaves me speechless and emotional. Thank you so much for your kind words, Huw, you’re very, very generous with compliments. :kissing_heart:

It’s interesting, I’ve been trying to learn Gaelic for years and years, but didn’t get anywhere. Then, my lucky star guided me to SSiW, and when I listened to Challenge 1, just out of curiosity at first, the Welsh words and sentences sounded strangely familiar. But Challenge 2 and 3 really had me doubt my ability to keep up with the fast pace and memorise all these new words and expressions. Hadn’t it be for this forum and all the extremely helpful and emphatic people here, I might have given up. I’m very thankful for all the support and encouragement I’ve received! :rose:

You know, I love your language, and this gives me the energy to overcome my stupidity and learn anyway!

Diolch and starlit dreams :sunflower::first_quarter_moon_with_face::star2:

3 Likes

@Claudia_Beryan I would like to second this. It seems to me that you are a very bright person. If you found school unsatisfactory and left early, that is an indictment on the school, not your intelligence! You are interested in everything and want to learn more! So do I, (I am 75 and a great advocate of the 'we are always learning, all our lives, philosophy!). Never let anyone make you feel foolish! Your job does not necessarily act as a label for your brain power!

4 Likes

This is a great philosophy, Henddraig, and I couldn’t agree more! If we are curious and always learning, we cannot grow old, never. I’m absolutely overwhelmed by the kindness and support of you wonderful people in this forum, diolch with all of my :hearts:

There are many reasons why I left school early, one of them is, that the situation at home was very difficult (I come from a guest-worker family) and we lived in poverty. My being hard of hearing made me a dreadfully slow learner; and you are right, in many ways, I found school unsatisfactory, unfortunately. It has always been my dream to become a medical doctor, and now, I’m cleaning in a hospital and a doctor’s surgery. My bosses are very nice and sometimes even take the time to answer my questions about medicine. I’m lucky to have found these jobs, despite my lack of education.

Again, thank you soooo much for your kindness, for me, this is very special and I don’t take it for granted at all! :rose::cherry_blossom::blossom:

3 Likes

Some very wise person has put this in their profile :smile:

“All of us get lost in the darkness. Dreamers learn to steer by the stars.” (Rush, The Pass)

1 Like

:kissing_heart::kissing_heart::kissing_heart:

All credit goes to Neil Peart, he’s the wise man :wink::musical_score:

That’s a real shame! They sound like a great opportunity, especially for distance learners who wouldn’t necessarily have the chance otherwise.

Hah, small world @jake-ceri - my paternal grandparents were from Frankfurt am Main before settling in France around 1913 and eventually becoming naturalised French. A big welcome to the Forum and good luck with SSIW - definitely worth lurking or even better: persevering!

1 Like

A small world indeed! Diolch yn fawr iawn :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for that tip about S4C “international”, mikeellwood. I’m a newbie living in Germany and trying to find some real live Welsh to get some listening practice. It’s early days yet but I’m sure it will come in handy sometime.

1 Like

Croeso!.

And (if you don’t already know it) make sure you visit here from time to time:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radiocymru
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radiocymru/programmes/schedules#on-now

You should hopefully be able to get that in Germany without any restriction.

There is also a BBC iPlayer Radio mobile app that one can use which is very handy.

1 Like