A question for anyone who knows their music

This isn’t course related, but…
I was watching ‘Gwlad Beirdd: T H Parry Williams’ earlier this afternoon. Just after the opening title at the beginning of the programme there was a rather dark sounding piece of piano music being played, with background strings accompaniment added soon after. I have added a link to the YouTube video so you can hear the piece for yourself.

I just want to know what that piece is called and who the composer was. I’ve just learned the intro to the piece on my piano from hearing it playing, but I would love to know what it is and who composed it.
Diolch mawr i unrhywun sy’n gallu helpu fi!

https://youtu.be/rxgGil00wHw

1 Like

Ayayay @faithless78 … it’s all there if you open the description of the video to more information. The song is City of Glass by Paul Martin Pritchard from the album Positive Evolutions just that the cover is a bit different to the original. The link to original album on Spotyfy where you can listen to it is here: https://open.spotify.com/album/0fHLJxGcTE5w5YcM6Nq88k

The first title is your’s and then the whole album.

Thanis for asking as I’ve discovered something new again.

Diolch yn fawr iawn!
Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shwmae Tatjana,
…it wasn’t that piece I was looking for!

Just after the opening sequence where that piece was used, the programme began with a darker, moodier piano piece. The presenter begins to speak over the music which continues for at least 1.50 minutes or so. It’s that piece I’m interested in.

Diolch am chwilio ta beth!
:slight_smile:

Yes I know and that’s the one. It’s a bit irrecognizable since it’s original is played quite differently and even with a bit different tempo. The piece at the beginning in the titles is something other, probably from the same album and probably of the same author. Will listen to the whole album and tell you if I recognize that one too. ,

EDIT
to add that i had no luck. I’ve launched kind of music recognition robot but it didn’t find exactly what we’re searching for.

1 Like

The youtube blurb mentions KPM music. There are different forms of music used in TV and film productions: commercial music, which are tracks licensed from released albums; commissioned music, which is music especially written for the production in question; and library music which is music created for use in TV/film but not released commercially and not written with any particular production in mind. KPM is a library music company.
My guess is that the City of Glass track is a commercial one (hence the credit to it in the blurb) whilst the other music is a library track from KPM (on youtube, these are accredited to KPM for copyright purposes but the track does not need to be named - indeed, most library tracks do not have names, they are called by their descriptions e.g. “moody, dark piano”!)
Anyway, had it been one of our (Cwmni Da) productions, I could have checked the paperwork for you, but unfortunately it’s not so I can’t. It’s my guess though, that this is what’s been done, and that’s why you can’t find it with music recognition because that tends to search for commercial tracks rather than library ones.

4 Likes

It’s very useful to have someone in the know!

3 Likes

Yes in deed. I forgot about library music. YouTube itself uses it too to offer it to creators when working in Creative Studio. BUT, since I’m the member of “Audioblocks” by the “Storyblocks” I’ll check there if something similar exists. Might be they took the exact piece of music from there as many companies are using this service aswell not just privately (as I do) but proffessionally aswell. Going to check.

2 Likes

Can anyone help me with this? Perhaps @tatjana
Accordion related question - relating to Welsh folk tunes.

Does anyone know if I can I use guitar chord scores for the left hand (chords) of my accordion? I tried it with Calon Lan and it seems to work.

Edited: Will it sound authentic on the accordion, please?

Well, I’m not that much skilled but I believe a chord is a chord. A chord exists of separate toens put together into a chord (as you know) so I’m very positive that you can use these to provide the acompanion of the chord on accordeon too. They just sound differently (depends of instrument) but the tones always have the same pitch no matter on which instrument.

What is the song you’re trying to play?

1 Like

What kind of accordion do you have?
With piano-like keyboard or just the buttons?
(I’m pretty sure you showed it at a hangout with @siaronjames once, but I can’t remember how it was and now I’m curious).

Right, as @tatjana already said, a chord is a chord, no matter what instrument you play it with. :grin:

Also on a piano or a guitar you can put the same notes in different sequences and they will sound a bit different - say for a C chord, starting from the lowest (G)-C-E-G-C-E like on the 1st fret of the guitar, but if you move up they can change.
On the mandolin I just found out the strings are upside down, so you’d get a different combination - but the notes are the same.
Same on the piano, and I believe on the accordion too!

if I were you I’d just play around until they sound the way you like and not worry about mistakes - just like SSiW challenges. :wink: :smiley:

1 Like

Hey @JohnYoung! Can we hear some of this in the (not so distant) future? I’m VERY curious!!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, thanks both, and also to those who answered on FB (Dwi’n Dysgu Cymraeg).

Its a Hohner Karman II with 34 keys and 24 chord buttons in three rows. I recently had it as a birthday present. Great fun although it’s a new type of instrument to me. The in and out timing of the bellows seems to be similar to the bowing of a violin, which is handy.

I think it’s just a matter of learning where each chord button is (by feel) and fitting them in with the melody. I’ll try guitar timing of the chords to start with as the guitar scores seem to be the easiest to find. I’ll hopefully find out how often to play each chord, or perhaps hold down - organ/violin style compared to the melody.

Ive had a go at Calon Lan and would like to play some stuff like Pan fo’r nos yn hir, Arglwydd dyma fi and Celtic style folk songs/hymns etc.

Ty Tawe, our local Welsh centre, has a folky jamming get-together on a monthly basis, so it would be great to join in sometime, when I get a bit better. I’ll let you know how it goes.

2 Likes

Accordion and Glendas curtain catcher :grinning:

1 Like

So Glenda plays guitar? Excellent. Perfect dua me think.

Well, I believe there on left aren’t only chorda but basses too, however I never played accordion for longer than a minute of two so I forgot which row are basses and which chords. Certainly the left hand is for accompaning the melody with basses or just chords though.

Accordeon but not language or country related here’s one song where you hear melody, chords as well as basses … And on the other hand … if they can play that good, you can too! Don’t mind they have “tab” and not “piano” related accordeon. To make you feel good … your type is harder to play (at least those who ever played accordeon and I know them, say so. Might be they’re wrong though.

Now enjoy one of our folk songs!

Oh, and here’s one from our Slovenia’s got tallent!

2 Likes

I thought Glenda caught curtains (or punished @JohnYoung with the catcher when he’s out of tune) :laughing:

Buttons seem very complicated to me!

I spent two days visiting accordion makers in Marche region when a friend from Texas wanted to buy one Italian accordion - there’s quite a great tradition here).
So I learned a lot about how they are made but can’t play anything!

What instruments do they play in the folk jam sessions, usually?

Where? In Slovenia accordeon is the Nr.1 instrument and that with buttons is ahead of piano one because it’s really played by many people who don’t perform publicly and who aren’t famous either. I have the co-worker who plays it too but she doesn’t even aim to be famous or to record anything. Accordeon here is many times played for soul and fun. :slight_smile:

Haha! :smile:! I’ve read “guitar catcher” and didn’t even really saw what’s behind the accordeon really! O boy! :smile:

1 Like

I mentioned the catcher (as mentioned in @siaronjames’ Slack cwrdd) in case it looked as if it was part of the accordion.

I think the type of instruments that join in at Ty Tawe are usually: Guitar, ukulele, ukulele-banjoe?, accordion, harp, penny whistle, violin, etc.

1 Like

What an orchestra! This must be great!

1 Like

I just listened to the songs you linked and they sound very much like Italian ones in the same style (I’m not an expert but mostly in the North-, because in the South the influences are more from other Mediterranean countries)!

However from what you say it seems way more common and appreciated in Slovenia than in Italy now.

Pretty much like mandolin: it appears in every single Welsh TV clip mentioning Italy but very few people actually play it now (for a coincidence I just bought one to add to my too many hobbies but hey, you know, what can we do! Ha ha!)

By the way it looks like mandolin is missing in Ty Tawe too!

Ah yes, sorry. I think they do have mandolins or lutes. I’m probably mixing them up with the ukulele family of instruments :frowning: Also folk percussion instruments and some wind instruments.

1 Like