A Perfectly Seasoned Cookbook

In the late 70s David and Alison Lea-Wilson were penniless students at Bangor University and in their own words had both fallen in love with each other and the area.

In a bid to continue living and studying in the beautiful stretch of land and seascape which connects Bangor to Ynys Môn (Anglesey) they began supplementing their student grants by growing oysters.

Their oyster enterprise evolved into a wholesale fish and game business lasting 12 years which then evolved into what is now known as the Anglesey Sea Zoo - Wales’ largest Aquarium.

But their success was seasonal and came and went with the flows of weather and tourism. Then in 1997, during an incident with a saucepan of seawater and an Aga, they discovered the magic of Halen Môn - Anglesey Sea Salt.

This exceptional sea salt is now enjoyed around the world and has been served at the most prestigious of dinners. It is a vital ingredient in Green & Blacks chocolate and Piper’s Crisps and is even sold at Harvey Nichols.

Now, after twenty years of producing award winning sea salt, Halen Môn have published their first ever cookbook. Here’s a word from the Halen Môn family about their book -

Brine, cure and pickle your way through this book, learning to use salt in new ways to make everyday food more vibrant and flavourful. From a sophisticated fennel and almond lasagne to toasted milk cookies, delicate salt marsh lamb to black pepper brined corn, this book brings new techniques and a breath of fresh inspiration to your kitchen.

The book is full to the brim of all kinds of delicious recipes alongside stunning pictures of Anglesey.

You can buy the book from the Welsh bookshop Palas Print here -

2 Likes

I love the Halen Môn products but had no idea of the backstory - interesting! I’ll keep my eye out for this