A hello from a new learner

Hi ,just thought I would drop a few lines to say hello to everybody,I was born and bred in North Wales and have always felt very proud " being Welshish" iI have always wanted to learn the language but never been able to continue, I think this a great way of learning and feel that everyone is very friendly… here I am starting off again with my Welsh… I live in Spain, with my Spanish family,in which my grand children love to say a few words in Welsh my son and daughter too !!! So like they say…go for it :grin::ok_hand:t3::+1:t2:

10 Likes

Welcome to SSiW and to the forum. Don’t be a stranger, come back to ask questions and to let us know how you’re getting on. Pob lwc. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Helo a chroeso! Hello and welcome!

You’re absolutely right that everyone here is very friendly, and the course is excellent. I’m sure you’ll be able to say more than just a few words in a very short amount of time indeed!

3 Likes

Welcome here at last (since you’ve joined already in April). I am appy to see you’ve took the opportunity to say hello. I am sure you’ll have a successful language learning journey with us here and as @gruntius says, do come back and share your progress and put on questions if you will have any.

Croeso yma!
Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Like you I am proud of being Welsh, yet there was always something lacking for me in that I am not a fluent welsh speaker. I still live in Wales and therefore have had plenty of opportunities; I guess life gets in the way. I joined SSiW around 3 years ago and am only now plucking up the courage (since I retired) to get more involved so well done you for jumping in.
Pob lwc, dwi’n siwr ti’n mynd joio fe.
Karen

3 Likes

Croeso i ti! I am a retiree. I moved up to Scotland (Yr Alban) for reasons of finance and convenience, but was living in a part of south Wales which the Norman King of England ‘took over’ - (he conned the Lord of Gower into swearing fealty when the poor twp didn’t understand what it meant) - in 1109 ish! It was totally anglicjsed. I had learned bits of Welsh over the years, the written literary kind, and when hiraeth bit, which it did despite Sky Tv letting me watch programmes from Wales, I started to look for ways to calm my pain. Having another go at the language was one and began with programmes for learners on BBC Wales TV and Radio, Cariad@Iaith on S4C … until I heard mention of Say something… It is still more contact with all things Welsh that draws me, but the friends I have found here are brilliant!

2 Likes

A very warm welcome to the forum, Shelley… :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Helo!
I joined in April so I’m a bit late saying hello!
I’m enjoying this course very much. I’m from Bridgend South Wales and I’ve wanted to learn Welsh for years. I did a bit in school and have since done Linguaphone, bits here and bits there, tried to sort out classes but the times never suited etc…so this course is perfect! I need to use the forum more though-it looks really useful and diddorol!
Kath

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum, Kath - great to see you here! :slight_smile:

Diolch Aran :blush::blush:

1 Like