A Graduated English-Welsh Spelling Book (1857)

Some of the words may have shifted a bit since 1857, but there’s something delightfully subversive about considering using this free book to learn/practice Welsh spelling in 2023.

A Graduated English-Welsh Spelling Book by John Lewis (1857)

One more toward one million.

1 Like

What does ‘Graduated’ mean in this context?

And: Any suggestions for a more contemporary Welsh-English dictionary that’s useful and user-friendly? I’m just starting out in my Welsh learning but would like to have a dictionary for reference as I proceed.

Graduated here means starting out easy and getting progressively more advanced as you go.

There are lots of great comprehensive dictionaries out there and you’ll find lots of great recommendations in the forums. (Try my Hypothesis notes if you’re at a loss.)

As a beginner, I enjoy D. Geraint Lewis’ Geiriadur Cynradd Gomer as a “kids” dictionary. I picked up a used copy for a few dollars, and it was entertaining to pick up and just read through at times.

Gareth King’s Modern Welsh Dictionary is great for learners - it has example phrases of spoken and written Welsh, so that you can see the language in context

2 Likes

I second the recommendation of the dictionaries mentioned below. If you like an app-based one, the Bangor University dictionary is available as an app called the “ap Geiriaduron” (also available online as a website). The value-added of using an electronic one is that it will recognised mutated words (so if you put in “goch”, for example, it will take you to the entry for “coch”.

1 Like