6 minutes a day course

I had to stop my 6 minutes a day course, I had a very ill father-in-law, who sadly passed away recently and I have a mother who is ill, so I couldn’t give the course the attention it deserved. I would like to start again but fitting the lessons in with my caring duties. Is this possible? Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any advice would be appreciated. Diolch

2 Likes

Hi @Ariana

It sounds like you have very difficult situation to deal with there - I’m very sorry to hear about your father in law.

I believe you can pause the courses very easily - have you paused it at the moment?

I worked through the challenges myself before the structured courses came along so I don’t know the detail about the pause mechanism but it has cropped up many times in posts on the forum and this seems to be the advice.

When I had gaps between chances to do the lessons, I wasn’t at all sure it was a bad thing…in fact sometimes it seemed that things had settled down in my head a bit since I did the last challenge and I wasn’t quite so frazzled about remembering what I’d just heard.

I wonder when you resume if you will find the same?

Rich :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Rich for your kind words. I have paused the course and have returned to lesson one. It’s back to the drawing board for me. Diolch yn fawr iawn Rich.

2 Likes

Do keep coming back to this forum and - since you are on the 6minute a day course - do see what is of help, if anything, for you on the 6/6 Support Slack workspace. If that seems overwhelming, then ask more here, when you are ready, or search for others’ queries & responses about how to get they might get the most out of Slack.

As carer to your mother, you’ll probably need to experiment a little to see how you can fit things in. Do not worry about interruptions: this language learning game can bring some quick rewards if you “tailor” your shorter term ambitions/“designs” to the time/energy “cloth” available, but every language we take up has the promise of life-long interest, stimulation & endeavour… I hope learning Welsh becomes a safe and welcoming space for some “you-time” as counterbalance to the family & caring. Croeso! Welcome, @Ariana

1 Like

I’m in a similar situation along with my wife. Full time carers for my mum. I am an expert at grabbing moments when they arise. e.g. when she falls asleep in front of the tele.:grinning:. SSIW is almost a therapy for me.

3 Likes

Thank you lornarhodes for your very kindly advice. It’s given me the impetus I needed to return to learning. Diolch

3 Likes

Ken, I intend to take up your very good idea of grabbing the time when I can. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my sos. Diolch

3 Likes

Deepest condolences @Ariana, I’m so sorry to hear of your father in law’s passing and of your mother’s illness and greatly admire your dedication not only towards them but also towards your Welsh journey, under such difficult circumstances.

Aran and I have had various experiences with caring for elderly relatives over the last three years and it’s one of the most challenging experiences I’ve ever had. Huge respect to everyone who’ve responded to this thread to say that they are going through the similar experiences. :heart:

2 Likes

Thank you Catrin for your very kind words and I have been lucky to have had such kind responses. I have restarted my Welsh learning journey again with real enthusiasm, which you and others have given me. Diolch yn fawr iawn i chi.

2 Likes

Am I able to set up a standing order re 6 minute a day payment. I would prefer this method
Dawn

If you pop that in an email to admin@saysomethingin.com , I’m sure someone will get back to you with an answer or solution :slight_smile:

Thanks Siaron

1 Like

Hi Siaran
Can you explain the difference between the 6 minute a day and level 1 course please

As I understand it, the 6 minute a day course is a more structured way of doing the first 2 levels - you get regular emails encouraging you to do set tasks, lots of support and access to the 6/6 Slack group for practise. Level 1 (and indeed all the levels) is open to anyone to do at their own pace, although only the first 15 lessons are free, but you don’t get the extra support that you get with the structured course - although there is always support and encouragement to be had here on the forum, so you wouldn’t be completely on your own!

1 Like

Thanks Sharon. I appreciate your prompt response.

1 Like

You’re welcome. I’m known to spend far too much time on here! :wink:

1 Like

Well I truly appreciate it. Thanks again

2 Likes

I’ve started the 6 minute a day course. I will be going away in a few months. Am I able to receive and download the following weeks material so I can practice while I’m away. I’m concerned I may get poor WIFI and will not be able to access the weekly material.
Dawn

tagging @Deborah-SSi for you, as I think you possibly could but am not sure.

Just send an email to admin@saysomethingin.com and I’ll bump you along in the course then put you on pause there, so you’ll be able to access the material :slight_smile: