You know you are learning Welsh when

Diolch. :slight_smile:

I was in Spain today (currently on holiday in France on the Spanish border) and ll words really confused me, couldn’t remember how to pronounce it other than the Welsh way!

6 Likes

You’re reading an item on the plans to develop Wylfa B nuclear power station on Anglesey and you start to laugh when you see that the group protesting against it are called People Against Wylfa B (PAWB).

12 Likes

When you can’t watch Pobl y Cwm without it turning into a game of “words and phrases I know in Welsh” bingo. “Finish! Work! Think!”

8 Likes

After two days of trying, finally passing the level of CandyCrush is accompanied by a CWPLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Then instantly freaking out wondering if I’ve remembered the right word.

1 Like

Candy Crush heh … I’d probably exclaim “O daro” every time I fail.

And yah, you know that you learn Cymraeg when you start to blurt out Cymraeg words even when you speak in your own language …

it happens, it happens … :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You know that you’re learning Cymraeg when instead of “I” (meaning myself) you push “Y” instead for who knows what reason … probably because you’re so keen to write as many "Y"s as possible. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You know you are learning Welsh when you are writing in English but end using Welsh spelling, such as ‘f’ instead of ‘v’!
Done this too many times on nursing reports!

8 Likes

You are not learning!! You have learned!!! :sunny:

3 Likes

Yep, Kim has learned.

3 Likes

answering the work phone and upon realising that it’s a cold-caller salesman, telling them they need to speak welsh, because I don’t want to speak English - in welsh of course.

9 Likes

I love this one!! And the one about ‘Plant Fair’! I frequently have the double-take experience in garden centres!!!

7 Likes

… when you are watching y Gwyll with the wife and the subtitles are on and you get frustrated at just how different they are from what is actually being said.

(I now realise that when I watch a film in another language I can concentrate on the subtitles but watching Welsh programs I’m trying to listen and read … which, as a man, doesn’t work so I end up getting more confused. :confounded: )

10 Likes

… when you have to get in touch with the author of the book you’re reading to help translate a word … and it turns out to be something so simple in the end. :blush:

2 Likes

When you see a van with lawn Services written on it & spend far too long wondering what iawn services could possibly be.

15 Likes

You’re watching Countdown and the first word that jumped into mind on seeing the letters was WELSH. This made me feel hapus iawn!

4 Likes

Wait until it’s Cymraeg!!! :grinning:

2 Likes

When your friends become pale and look at you suspiciously after noticing on your fridge a post-it with “RHY causes mutation!!!” written on it.

11 Likes

When you can’t help but pronounce “’ll” the Welsh hissing way whenever you see it, even in Italian, so now when you recite Petrarca “Tranquillo porto avea mostrato Amore” he sounds like Dafydd ap Gwilym.

When your boyfriend asks you “So, what language do you speak to your friends on Skype, Welsh?” and you feel very offended and harshly reply “What do you think we speak, English?!”

When your Russian-speaking grandmother, hearing “Wyt ti wedi prynu llath?” calmly replies “Ydw”. Because you need conversational practice and your relatives all try to help you:)

14 Likes

When you suddenly struggle to pronounce English words like ‘dwell’ while reading.

12 Likes