Y Gwyll/Hinterland Tonight

I am very sorry, but for me Lan y Lawr is too unbelievable because they keep showing Worm’s Head to stress where they are and that is absolutely monoglot English!! If they wanted to be on Gower, they should have gone to the north coast… Llanmadoc, Llanrhydian… Penclawdd…That used to be where Cymraeg was spoken and some older folk still speak it, which means children learning can use it with the elderly. Rhossili is part of what was grabbed by the Normans. It is so English-speaking that a teacher at Gowerton school in the '40s told a Rhossili girl not to worry that her Welsh was so bad because, “I’ve never managed to teach any to a Rhossili child yet!”

I struggle with Kevin’s accent (KevinGlad ac yr Cowbois!)

1 Like

Could an area change, I wonder? (Semi-rhetorical question). I’m not saying this area might have changed (I have no knowledge of it). What I mean is, could a (probably smallish) community collectively take the decision to bring back the old language, especially if there are still older people around who still speak it. The younger people will be learning it at school. So it would be up to the generation of the parents of those younger people to make the effort to bring about a change (I think). Just thinking out loud really. Has it ever happened?

1 Like

He’s the hardest for me too, but I love the character!

I saw series 1 in both languages, and really enjoyed it. I’m cross with myself that I’ve missed the new lot though - unless they are still on S4C Clic?

Later. Just checked; I can only find one episode! What am I missing?

That was a ‘Christmas special’ (well it wasn’t, but that sort of thing). The rest of the new eps are still in production and will be screened later in the year.

1 Like

One person in the village spoke Cymraeg. She was from up north, Gwynedd, I think. She ran some lessons for a while. Some of us remembered stuff from learning before, One had ‘Chapel Welsh’ and her grandchildren spoke it (were learning in school) but did not live nearby. Most of the rest were English in-comers with a vague interest. Oh, one, who has since gone to the antipodes, was a widow whose husband had spoken Cymraeg. The native population had spoken English since the Lord of Gower was conned into swearing fealty to the Norman King of England. I think that was Edward 1, but don’t quote me!! Places may change, but some places are more likely to change than others!!

1 Like