Y Bontfaen/Cowbridge - an English Oasis?

It’s worth reading the responses to a letter in the Y Bontfaen/Cowbridge local paper - The Gem. I quite like Bontmaen myself…reminds me of Kent. (That’s a joke!)

Hmmm… only up the road from me and I haven’t been there yet. Perhaps the missus & I need a trip out there next weekend to walk around the village speaking loudly in Welsh? Perhaps go into a local hostelry and insist on ordering in Welsh?

2 Likes

If your interested in antiques, Sara, you’ll be able to use your Welsh here: http://cowbridgeantiques.co.uk/
John “Pod” Williams the owner is an old friend of mine and comes from Gwynedd. Last time I was in the town Welsh was very audible on the street and I ordered my beer in Welsh as well…

1 Like

Important to remember that we have Welsh speaking idiots as well as there being anti-Welsh idiots. Probably best if we just file this one under “idiot” and ignore it…

There is a serious side to this kind of attack, in that there are a million and a half plus “fence sitters” in Wales - those who are not against the Welsh language, but aren’t enthusiastis enough to do something about learning it. This kind of rabid, over the top attack will probably not tip the balance at all, or might tip one or two people to be more favourable towards the language. Reaction to it is more likely to tip people the other way.

For instance if a couple went to the topwn and insisted on using their language as a weapon (I know it was a joke, sarapeacock!) then that couls make people think “Oh, we read about this kind of person in the GEM last week - maybe it is true…”. Alternatively, being in Cowbridge and speaking Welsh with each other and being generally natural about it will work the other way, and encourage others to see such things as natural.

6 Likes

Spot on Iestyn,
From and evolutionary point of view it’s interesting that a large species can still be small minded.

Cheers J.P.

3 Likes

There’s a response to the responses on the letters page of the Western Mail today. I’ve never seen such an obvious troll. Definitely something to rise above. :trollface:

1 Like

Are you sure, Robert? Hey! If I was editing a paper I’d be placing stories like that, often…

Well, I felt so strongly about the letter, I sent a letter to the Barry Gem. I felt the Gem should know that there are people who have welcomed the Welsh page in the paper, and hope they continue to publish it.

4 Likes

I live in Y Bontfaen and

Hi. Sorry first time on the forum,

Shwmae Anne, a chroeso i’r fforwm!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Now I’m dying to find out where else you live…:wink:

And having some trouble in replying. Just wanted to say that I live in Cowbridge and our group of learners meet weekly in The Bear to practice over coffee. We have also responded to the Gem to support their publishing of articles in Welsh.
Incidentally the other Antique shop, Havard and Havard is also where Welsh is frequently to be heard.

3 Likes

Diolch yn fawr

Excellent, well done you - it’ll be important for people to hear that there are enthusiastic learners in the town :sunny: :thumbsup:

1 Like

Hello
This week’s Gem has just been delivered. There are a lot of responses on this topic. ALL positive! Ardderchog!
Anne

3 Likes

Any chance of a little of the gist of the responses, Anne…? I love positive stories. Diolch!!!

All the responses were in favour and supporting the Welsh language and it highlighted how many people speak Welsh, and how many are proud of their language. It certainly highlighted the Welsh language and I am sure the anonymous person who wrote the bigoted letter didn’t expect so much media about it. I have never written to a newspaper before, but I felt so strongly, I had to write to the Gem, and to my surprise my letter was published.

5 Likes

That’s great news, Anette! :thumbsup:

Managed to find a digital copy of The Gem…The letters are on page 2 and 32 and make for a very healthy read.
http://edition.pagesuite-professional.co.uk//launch.aspx?pbid=56125f2e-bb2d-4f9c-9c21-3ad1342bd1f6

3 Likes

What an absolutely superb response - I hope that gets as much coverage in other media as the original story…