With each other

Hi
In some lessons of level 3 ‘together’ (with each other) is gyda’i gilydd and in others its gyda’ch gilydd. Is there a difference? I’ve also seen gyda’n gilydd written down.

Thanks

Andrew

Together = gyda’i gilydd.
Together (we) = gyda’n gilydd. ('n is short for ein)
Together (you) = gyda’ch gilydd. ('ch is short for eich)

I hope that is what you want.

8 Likes

Hi Gruntius

I was really trying to put them in context as ‘together’ is always a plural. So I understand ‘we’ and ‘they’ do things together but not sure where a singular ‘I’ could be used?

Thanks

Andrew

Here are a couple of examples where gyda’i gilydd is used -
they go/belong together = maen nhw’n mynd gyda’i gilydd
to sew two things together = gwnïo dau beth gyda’i gilydd

although it’s not a direct (i.e. word-for-word) translation, perhaps it might help to think of gyda’i gilydd as “with each other” in these cases.

1 Like

Ah, I see your problem. What you see in gyda’i gilydd is not the same “i” as the first person pronoun. It’s a contraction, as one word ends in a vowel and the next starts with a vowel : gyda + eu becomes gyda’i
(Also gyda + ein = gyda’n and gyda + eich = gyda’ch)

1 Like

Aha. Thanks Hendrik. That’s what I wasn’t seeing. So its more like ‘with themselves,ourselves and yourselves’. Thanks everyone for the prompt replies.

Well in the lyrics of one of the first songs I had found, there was:
Mae’r ddwy yn unrywun o gwbl
yn gwneud casserole gyda’u gilydd

I haven’t paid much attention to spellings so far, but since we’re here:
What is the u?
(it sounds the same, right? so it might as well be a different spelling I guess)

You beat me to it!!! :slight_smile: I just wanted to ask if you are sure about that u there :wink: I guess it should be i?

1 Like

I checked where I copied it from. And it’s a u!
Maybe it’s just a different spelling.
Or maybe whoever wrote it got distracted while typewriting and once xeroxed… nothing they could do about it. :smiley:
Or maybe mother tongue speakers just don’t care as long as the sound’s right! :wink: