What's "The Walking Dead" in Welsh?

Oh, such cool suggestions! If I wanted to go really literal though, can I say “Y Meirw Cerdded” or do I need the “sy’n” to make it make sense?

Mmm. Ummmm.

It’s just one of those things that has context in English but not in Welsh, so it all sounds inevitably odd.

I’ve tweeted an expert…

An expert on Welsh Zombies. Now there’s a thing.

2 Likes

He didn’t say anything about this “expert” being relevant to anything here. It could be a jam roly poly expert for all we know. :wink:

The nation is now disagreeing about this on Twitter.

You’re going to be in trouble if you end up breaking the Welsh internet, Jen.

1 Like

Bardd Plant Cymru to the rescue!

mae hwn yn un anodd, o ran cyfieithu union deitl cyfres The Walking Dead. Y cyfieithiad llythrennol…yw Y Meirw Crwydrol. Cyfieithiad uniongyrchol h.y. Gwell fyddai ceisio bod yn greadigol, ond ie…cyfeirio at y meirw byw a wna The Walking dead, er bod cymeriadau yn y gyfres yn galw ‘The Walkers’… hefyd yn Biters, Roamers, Rotters, Lurchers, Geeks a the Dead. Dyna i gyd alla i ei ychwanegu yw bod…gen i gynghanedd sain neis, sydd yn crwydro oddi ar y cwestiwn: Ymlusgo’n feirwon tua’u hyfory !wrth gwrs mae sawl enw cymraeg arwahan i Meirw Byw all fod o gymorth: Y Pwdwr,Ellyll(on/od), Melltigeidlu, Angeulu, Datgymalwyr, Meirw/Meirwon, Cyrff Crwydrol etc

If you’d like to say thanks, Jen, see https://twitter.com/neikaradog :sunny:

If you want to see the other contributions as well: https://twitter.com/search?f=realtime&q=%40aranjones&src=typd :sunny:

I just tweeted an expert on language. Didn’t realise that she’d RT it to someone who then did indeed forward it to an expert on Welsh zombies.

What a world.

Meanwhile, Jen, it’s been suggested that you ask the Welsh dead themselves:

https://twitter.com/ZombieCymraeg

Oh, thanks a lot, Jen. Look what you’ve done:

And I’ve got to walk home for 45 minutes in the dark tonight through the undead-riddled streets of Cardiff.

Now they’re just playing with me.

Shed a tear for me as the sun sets, folks…

I believe the MythBusters determined that if you walk like the Undead, you will be spared, as they will believe you are one of them. So all you really need to do to survive, @aran, is walk those 45 min home through Cardiff as if you were a zombie. Moaning, non-functioning limbs, etc.

Video or it didn’t happen. :wink:

So, what, just pretend it’s the morning walk to work again?

Seems like a long shot, but I don’t have much left to lose…

1 Like

haha!!! Aw thanks for going through so much for my little question! :slight_smile: I really REALLY like “Y Meirw Crwydrol”!

Off to Twitter to offer thanks! :smile:

1 Like

Oh, great, now it’s getting dark. :bridge_at_night:

1 Like

You’ll be fine. Just don’t let them smell your fear… :anguished: :wink:

1 Like

Just remember that they are more afraid of you, than you are of them. Bear this in mind, as they suck your brains out through your eye sockets…

1 Like

Yeah, that was going okay until I noticed the man standing motionless in the pitch dark by the steps down into Bute Park. I’d like to thank him, and the Commonwealth War Graves Cemetary, for making my stroll home go so quickly.

2 Likes