What's "The Walking Dead" in Welsh?

My first guess was y meirw sy’n cerdded
Google translate goes for Y meirw cerdded

Which is better?

If you’re talking about zombies, you’d be more likely to see ‘y meirw byw’ - the combination of ‘walking’ and ‘dead’ is pretty idiomatic, and exactly the kind of stuff that rarely translates neatly :smiley:

1 Like

Wouldn’t that be vampires? :smile: (Just trying a reply to see what this interface feels like.)

1 Like

Disappointingly, google reckons that’s fampir

My money says that all vampires are undead, but not all undead are vampires… :wink:

Pity that the wink looks like someone being rushed to hospital. We’ll have to try and do something about that!

1 Like

The wink ties in nicely with the thread theme - it’s the Governor from the Walking Dead, sans eyepatch…

Not that he smiled much in the show.

It is uncannily relevant, now you mention it.

I never wanted a forum for the undead, though. :scream:

No? I frequently end up like a zombie after doing a lesson or two.

This is a reasonable point, but we don’t want to make it an inevitable part of the dress code. I can see the headlines now.

To be honest, they’re well served by the comments section on many tabloid websites.

1 Like

‘Y meirw byw’ - is certainly what they were calling them at the Eisteddfod.

Yes there were zombies at the Eisteddfod. in the Babell Len…

It was… strange… and a bit cool.

1 Like

Hmmm… “Meirw byw” is “living dead” rather than “undead”, surely?

“Undead”, as a translation of “nosferatu” in Bram Stoker’s Dracula referred only to vampires, whereas “living dead” started as a term for what can also be called “zombies” from the Romero films?

Shows how translation is a minefield…

Erm- edit? Just to say that “undead” is not a translation of “nosferatu”, though apparently presented as such in the novel (which I have not read, so I could be talking absolute rubbish!)

Sorry to have to resurrect this thread ( :smile: ) but in light of Rick’s speech a couple of episodes back, the answer to this thread’s question is still not answered! “Y meirw byw” may be what’s used for “zombies”, but Rick says that THEY (the survivor’s of the zombie apocolypse) are in fact “The Walking Dead”–so, if I really want to translate the title of the show (and I actually really do!!) we come back to the original question…

or something else?

I’m stumped on this one. You need a poet. I can try and find one for you when I get home. Do you have a deadline?

What, there’s no emergency number for poets?? :wink: Nope–no ***dead***line ( :smile: --I keep cracking myself up!)

4 Likes

If we’re going poetic and I can take poetic license (oh yes, I went there), I’d suggest something else that translates the meaning rather than the literal words…maybe The Hollow People or the Empty People, Y Pobl Cau (someone check this for me?)? Because the survivors have nothing left. They are emotionally wrung out. They are running on empty.

Would ‘yr heb hiraeth’ be descriptive.

Cheers J.P.

There’s a common phrase ‘Gwynt traed y meirw’ - it’s even in a song by Steve Eaves - so maybe ‘y Meirw ar Droed’ would have a nice echo of that…

Maybe it’s an unthread. :skull:
:smiling_imp:

Edit:

Not quite, but there used to be Dial a Poem:

1 Like