What type of words have gender

In which case, I shall get my climbing boots on!

Thanks

Andrew

1 Like

@siaronjames already answered about the general rule(s).

I would add that regarding a few examples in SSiW challenges, I had asked a similar question I can’t remember the specific example, but something in which you couldn’t tell from the English sentence if you should use feminine or masculine to translate the “it”.
And also regarding singular/informal or plural/formal “you”- which is a similar issue.

@aran had explained that they simply try to use a bit of each, so that we can hear and practice them all. But in these cases neither is wrong, while you do the challenge.

(Sounds a bit confusing, trying to write it now :thinking:…does it make sense to you, @spragga?)

p.s. in any case don’t worry, there will be a challenge that talks about walls and climbing over them too! :wink: :smiley:

1 Like

:wink: yes makes perfect sense. Thanks. I wish I was this keen when I did GCSE… youth is wasted on the young!

4 Likes

Can I add to @siaronjames’s brilliant post about picking up the whens and hows and not worrying about the whys too much yet. I’ve spoken to a fair few (a surprisingly high percentage which means there are thousands upon thousands) first language Welsh speakers out there who know the whens and hows but haven’t a clue or just don’t care about the whys. If you want to know why by all means find out but don’t let it slow your progress. Trust the process, there’s a reason SSiW doesn’t teach grammar.

4 Likes

@gruntius. Will do. Thanks

2 Likes

worrying about the whys too much

Totally agree. Asking “why” while learning a language often leads to unsatisfying answers. Come to think of it, the same applies in Physics :smile:

3 Likes

That’s probably why I failed A level physics (got an F back in the day) - I was definitely asking too many why’s.

1 Like

That’ll learn you :smile:

1 Like

Yes, it’s a common misconception that we physicists are trying to explain the world; we are merely trying to describe it :wink:

2 Likes

I was told once that if a foreign learner was asking particularly irrelevant/unhelpful ‘why’ questions and reluctant to accept ‘that’s just how it is’ as an answer, one should pick up an everyday object, such as a book:
- What do you call this in your language?
- Um libro.
- Really? I call it a ‘book’. Why do you call it ‘um libro’?

3 Likes