What should we call the 5 day course?

So, here’s the current state of play… (omaigod I’ve just realised I haven’t done a monthly state of play for ages, so that’ll have to be tomorrow!)…

We’ve had hugely encouraging results from the 5 day courses. I’ve learnt a lot about what works best when people are under that kind of pressure, and how to help them achieve more, and I’ve been blown away by how much effort people put into it - and by the way in which it triggers more confidence and more usage after the course is over. I’m now thinking about having a follow up - a 5 dayer for people who’ve already got through one - which much more focus on listening and speaking, which I think will be really interesting.

But in the meantime, it’s clear that the 5 day approach is going to be a long-term thing for us.

It does a very different job to Bootcamp - Bootcamp is great for taking people who’ve put the work in, and giving them an environment in which to get used to their Welsh.

The 5 day courses, by contrast, work even for complete beginners - and yet still put intermediate learners through enough work to make a dramatic difference.

So… since they’re going to be part of what we do from now on, they need a better name.

Something that gives a sense of what they’re all about - massive effort, great results - but which isn’t cheesy or boring - it needs to be eye-catching and interesting - so the ‘5 day super intensive course’ thing doesn’t really do it.

Any ideas?

I’ve got one early favourite, but I don’t want to steer your responses at all, so I’ll share that later on, unless we find something better… :slight_smile:

Since the course is suitable for beginners and not-so-beginners (like me), and aims at providing a jump in proficiency and confidence, how about “Cwrs Neidio Ymlaen” or just "Neidio Ymlaen)? There is a case for having the title in Welsh only IMO.

Ww, da iawn - neidio ymlaen is an interesting thought… :thumbsup:

Mmmm… less sure about that… if we want it to really pop, for the words themselves to grab attention, I think it probably has to be in the native language… :slight_smile:

I’m rubbish at naming things but the thought occurs that there seems to be a growing trend in fitness stuff for things that actively market themselves as “hard” A friend from work does loads of them and it’s all titles like INVNCBL (Invincible for the vowel-sensitive) and Tough Mudder and Spartan Race and similar chest beating type names.

So I think pitched right something that’s upfront about the fact that it’s “tough but awesome and I’m awesome for taking it on” can be a seller. It draws a direct contrast with most language courses - almost EVERY competitor SSIW has in the language learning field pitches as “the easy way to learn”

Whereas this is not about the easy it’s about the effective.

Wraping all that into a name though… errr…

1 Like

The 5-day Deep End - Pen Dwfn 5 Diwrnod

(can’t seem to let go of my swimming-based past!)

3 Likes

Diolch diolch bawb! Every single contribution is really valuable, because they can all trigger new ideas from other people, and the more we have, the more new angles we’ll cover or notice… :star: :star2:

@leiafee - yes, the more we celebrate the challenge, the better, I think - it’s certainly been the case so far that the heavy drum-beating about how tough this kind of intensity is has lead to really serious, enthusiastic, tough learners coming to them… :slight_smile:

in the native language… :slight_smile:

In which case “Jump start” or “Launch Pad” or “Jump Leads” might be more catchy than “Jump Ahead”.

(These will look less inspired to me when I sober up - oh hang on, I’m not drunk. :laughing: )

1 Like

One of the things they say on copywriting courses is that you have to put everything down - everything - however good or bad you think it is - you need 50 or a 100 or preferably more before you’ll start to uncover the good stuff… :star: :star2:

So…

5 Day Deep End
5 Day Jump Start
5 Day Launch Pad
5 Day Jump Leads
5 Day Jump Ahead

They don’t have to start with ‘5 day’, I suppose…

1 Like

I think starting it with 5 Day works because 5D as as an abbreviation trips off the tongue, 5DSI risked sounding like Nintendo’s latest toy instead of a Welsh course but unquestionably was quick and cool and easy to say.

2 Likes

Staying with the sport analogies and chucking random words

sprint
springboard
dash

And back to what you’re achieving

Rewire for Welsh

1 Like

I particularly like springboard. :bulb:

1 Like

more random analogies…

full throttle
iaith-storm
dragon ride
flying leap
neuro-blast Welsh

1 Like

Superb work, folks!

5 Day Deep End
5 Day Jump Start
5 Day Launch Pad
5 Day Jump Leads
5 Day Jump Ahead
5 Day Sprint
5 Day Welsh Sprint
5 Day Springboard
5 Day Welsh Springboard
5 Day Dash
5 Day Welsh Dash
5 Day Rewire for Welsh
5 Day Full Throttle Welsh
5 Day Iaith-Storm
5 Day Dragon Ride Welsh
5 Day Flying Leap Welsh
5 Day Neuro-Blast Welsh

:star: :star2:

I suppose using scrum, ruck, maul or heave might lead to folk expecting rugby training! 5 Day Shove or Push-over appeals! Shame the front row is only 3. Iron 5? Hard 5?

H.I.L.T

Bear with me…
Highly Intensive Language Technique - because ‘To the hilt’ means to the maximum extent possible or as fully as possible. And the 5 day course will certainly give you a handle on the language.

… am I overthinking this? :joy:

Yes, I rather suspect so. Still, I’ll add 5 Day Shove…

H.I.L.T. - I wonder if there is some unconscious echoing in there? :slight_smile: But I like your line of thought…:wink:

5 Day Deep End
5 Day Jump Start
5 Day Launch Pad
5 Day Jump Leads
5 Day Jump Ahead
5 Day Sprint
5 Day Welsh Sprint
5 Day Springboard
5 Day Welsh Springboard
5 Day Dash
5 Day Welsh Dash
5 Day Rewire for Welsh
5 Day Full Throttle Welsh
5 Day Iaith-Storm
5 Day Dragon Ride Welsh
5 Day Flying Leap Welsh
5 Day Neuro-Blast Welsh
5 Day Shove
Iron 5 Day Welsh
Hard 5 Day Welsh
5 Day H.I.L.T.
5 Day Welsh H.I.L.T.

ah, could be. sometimes there’s plenty of room for echoing in my head :wink:

1 Like

Pimp maer ride!! Thinking of the pimp my ride saying for when cars are supped up…

Reminds me of a Welsh joke…

What do you call a welshman with 4 ladies of the night? …

Pedwar Pimp :joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

5 Day Supercharge
5 Day Power Cram

I’m trying to stop, honest. My inner word-nerd won’t shut up. :nerd:

3 Likes

I like Launch Pad - deinamig iawn! :slight_smile:

2 Likes