What should beginners use for written study?

Hi, I’m sure this has been answered here but I couldn’t specifically see it in my little scroll …
I’m starting from scratch and just a handful of lessons in, but I also want to get organised to learn the letters. Is there a common text people use for the written side of things?

Thanks

I would wait a little while first - perhaps until you’re getting towards the end of level/course 1 - but it is entirely up to you. As for learning the letters, the vocabulary list is a good option - each lesson has a vocabulary list, and while it might take a little while to associate the letters with the sounds, you’ll get there. Alternatively, Gareth King’s Basic and Intermediate grammar workbooks are an excellent resource - though again, I would wait until you’ve done more of this course.

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

We recommend that you don’t do that - we recommend that you get a firm grip on the sounds first, by getting to the end of Level 1, and then start to add familiarity with the written language by looking at the vocab notes in each lesson, and by starting to read bits and pieces of Welsh… :slight_smile:

1 Like

@hectorgrey @aran Okay, thanks for the replies. Yes, I’m focusing on the oral part, pasting the vocab lists in Word. I see what you’re saying and actually like the idea of primarily learning language in the pure, non written form, though it can be hard to pick up the consonants sometimes without visual help. What do people tend to do after ‘Level 1’, btw?

1 Like

Level 2, generally. It’s also worth going over to the older course and doing that; both courses differ in what they teach (and in the order they teach it), so each has something to offer someone who as completed the other.

3 Likes

Ah, I couldn’t see any portal to other levels that’s why that question seemed pretty dumb, heh.

1 Like