What? No Friday Five?

Sorry for the absence of the Friday Five questions last week!

I had the kids home on half term holiday and on top of that, Aran’s work laptop died and he had to use mine, therefore I had very limited access to the forum.

Back to normal this week! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I was expecting a Tuesday Two in its place when I saw the thread title!

3 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy:

How about a Tuesday 2+2+1? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Garys was on the ball over the weekend and seeing the absence of the Fiday Five, anticipated that we were probably in the thick of it with everything, so he sent me a list of Friday Five questions he’d made for me. So why not throw them out there today?

Here goes…

1) What design feature would you add to a (insert object - car, dishwasher, TV…)?

2) What job could you never do and why?

3) What job should not exist?

4) Where is the most interesting place you’ve swum?

5) Which planet would you make habitable if you were able to?

1 Like

1) What design feature would you add to a (insert object - car, dishwasher, TV…)?

My house would be self cleaning and tidying. Clothes would hang themselves up. Books would realise when they hadn’t been read for 20 years and take themselves to charity shops.

House cleaner and tidier. See above.

Street cleaner. Not seen in Japan where people take responsibility for their own rubbish.

Tresiath beach. We were given an additional challenge one bootcamp (with good weather forecast!) to swim every day. I swam 6 out of the seven days with the wonderful @ramblingjohn making sure I didn’t get swept away.

Earth would be a good start. We are really lucky. So many aren’t.

2 Likes
  1. What design feature would you add to a …
    …dishwahser which actually cleans saucepans and dries dishes. I’ve not yet metr one and have tried many. I usually wash things before I put them in the dishwahser and dry them when I take them out which M finds hilarious.

2. What job could you never do and why?
    Anything which would require me to be “passioante” about my work. Commitment was the most I was ever prepared to offer.

3. What job should not exist?
    Any sort of cold callig or “telephone mouthpiece cleanser” (see Hitchhiker’s Guide :laughing: )

4. Where is the most interesting place you’ve swum?
    Great Barrier Reef in the company of a marine biologist - unforgettable

5. Which planet would you make habitable if you were able to?
    It’s got to be Mars - the inner planets are too hot. Some moons of the gas giants may be worth further investigation. I’d probably start with our own moon, though. A “terra-forming” ray would be really handy. :smile:

1 Like

Earth would be a good start

Excellent point. :clap:

Temperature control and heart rate monitor on all beds - then it would adjust to help you to cycle through sleep naturally.

Debt collector

Instead of a job, how about an industry: I’d get rid of the tobacco industry.

I’m not much of a swimmer to be honest. I’ve swum in the Mediterranean, the Atlantic, and a few rivers and lakes. This Autumn I will swim off the coast of a Fijian island.

Neptune looks pretty, a blue planet would be cool.

3 Likes

Self cleaning floor

Septic Tank emptying and maintenance.

Firework maker

Off the coast oh Kho Phi Phi Don

5) Which planet would you make habitable if you were able

Mars

2 Likes

A “limp home mode” for all cars, regardless of how serious the problem is. Even if you’ve written the car off and it is literally in 78 different pieces, my car design would have another set of wheels pop out of nowhere and a computer voice saying “Ah, come on! Let’s get you home then!”

So even if your engine went kaput - something would happen where the car just goes “Ah Nicky, I don’t want to leave you out here… Pencader is still 40 odd miles until home and their Spar doesn’t open until tomorrow morning! Let’s get moving and I will conk out outside your house instead!”

As Anthony already said, it’s a debt collector for me.

Queen of Britain or any other royal title, there we go. Time for me to run.

Despite visiting most of Europe, I’ve only ever swum abroad once - in Barcelona in our basement swimming pool - and unfortunately that wasn’t very interesting, so I’m at a loss on this one.

Ystrad Rhondda Leisure Centre?

Saturn. That ring could be pretty fun.

1 Like

Saturn

You might suffer from an excess of gas. :laughing:

1 Like

Like earth maybe? :wink:

1 Like

I was trying to be punny…Blue…cool…I’ll get my coat

1 Like

I’m too slow most of the time.

1 Like

Self trimming hedges. I like having actual hedges but cutting them even once a year is a proper ball ache!

I’m far too squeamish to be a surgeon these days. I would have done it years ago but I’ve developed this aversion to it for some reason.

What a question, so many. If we were better creatures we could get rid of all the law keepers, all the animal protectors, all the charities, the list goes on. We would all be equal. If only Utopia were possible.

Off the coast of Dominan Republic in the Atlantic ocean.

I think seeing all the moons of Jupiter from the surface would be incredible but how would we make it inhabitable?

3 Likes

Seconded.

Cheers J.P.

OMG, where to start, where to start…

A self-dusting and de-molding house. I live in a construction zone, so my house gets a foot of dust in it, most of it either unreachable or mixed up with my long hair, which I shed like a cat. Ugh. As for the mold, that’s pretty self-explanatory. Double-ugh.

Well heck, why don’t I just make the house entirely self-cleaning.

While we’re at it, I’d like clip hangers that have clips strong enough to actually hold the clothes. What a concept.

And in addition to the self-cleaning feature, my house needs to come equipped with a bottomless trunk like the one in Harry Potter, so I can store away the closet clutter and my multiple collections of big stuff (I collect frickin’ round suitcases. Why couldn’t I collect stamps?!), leaving room to walk around without tripping and bumping into things. I haven’t seen most of my floor in years.

Paper mill, sewer worker, leather tanner, or any other job that smells bad (runs away to throw up) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

King, Emperor, or Dictator of the United States (and I’m afraid we may be well on our way to getting one) :rage:

A backwoods Louisiana bayou behind my backwoods Louisiana house. Interesting… and muddy. I much prefer the big waves of the Pacific Ocean, thank you very much.

I’m with Nicky on this one: Saturn. I’d make a combo ice-skating/roller-skating/ski run out of the ring.

1 Like

I gave up on laptops because they kept dying on me (and the DVD drives on them are usually rubbish). I’m now back to a good old traditional steam-driven desktop PC. Admittedly it’s a bit more difficult taking it on a bus etc (but to be honest, so were the laptops).

Well, for smart TVs I’d have a proper wireless keyboard for internet interactions, instead of trying to do it all one-fingered on the remote! Ridiculous. But maybe you can already get these, but I don’t remember being offered one when we bought our not-cheap smart TV not so long ago.

Undertaker, I suppose because I am afraid of death.

And I’d run 10 miles at the thought of becoming a forensic pathologist.

What an interesting question.

Perhaps social worker. In an ideal world, we’d all be physically and mentally healthy enough to take care of ourselves for much longer than many of us are nowadays; there would be no abuse, cruelty, etc, which makes some of the work for social workers necessary, and whatever little else remained to do would be done willingly by caring friends & family.

I am not a brave swimmer, so nowhere really interesting. But I did get back into swimming after a long period of not doing so during a very pleasant holiday at a small Italian Mediterranean port/village. Warm clear blue water (without Chlorine). Nasty stuff, chlorine; a necessary evil perhaps, although there are alternatives.

Oh come to think, I have swum in an open air pool in Peru fed by hot springs. We were the only (very pale) Gringos and attracted a certain amount of attention.

I’d like to swim in the hot spring (thermal?) pools in Iceland, and their non-Chlorinated swimming pools.

The Moon because it’s nearest. Now, you’re going to tell me it’s not a planet aren’t you…?

OK then, Mars, just to see if there really are Mars Bars there … :slight_smile:

1 Like