What do people in Mid-Wales speak?

Hello all. I’m new here. My mother’s side of the family is from mid-Wales, from around Aberystwyth, and I want to learn the Welsh I grew up hearing. But I don’t know if it’s closer to North Welsh or South Welsh. I think it may be closer to South Welsh because the word for “grandmother” is the same as the one found in South Wales but that is all I know. Should I default to South Welsh? Thanks for any help you can give.

Shwmae Bronwen, a chroeso i’r fforwm!
I believe people in Aberystwyth and surrounding areas tend to speak more of a southern dialect, but you may find some Northern words or patters used as well. Whichever course you decide to follow you will still be understood, and over time when you’re out and about in mid-Wales and using your Welsh, you will start to pick up and use what dialect you hear others using, which could even be a mixture of both or something completely different!
It’s important to remember that these dialectual differences are quite subtle, so really it is a matter of which course you feel happiest learning here. Give them both a try (say, the 1st lesson of each) to see which one suits you best.
Best of luck with the course, I’m sure you will enjoy it as much as we all do, and don’t hesitate to come here on the forum if you have any questions about anything at all on your journey to speaking Welsh!
Hwyl am y tro
Gav :slight_smile:

My sister, nephew and niece live in Aberystwyth and they speak southern Welsh

Phil

Croeso i’r fforwm, Bronwen! Like you, I really hope to get familiar with the Ceredigion dialect in the future as my dad’s side of the family were all first-language Welsh speakers from there, so that was the Welsh I heard growing up too. I have a Welsh-speaking auntie and uncle in Aberystwyth and they speak southern Welsh. My auntie tells me that she’s very happy that I’m learning “proper Welsh” with SSiW. :slight_smile: So for me, I’d say Southern would be the way to go. But as Gav said, it doesn’t really matter. Pob lwc with the course, whichever you choose. :slight_smile:

Another vote here for definitely southern.