What are methods for possessing welsh varieties and improving speech pronunciation?

Hello there :slightly_smiling_face:

I have really enjoyed my time with say something in welsh and I have achieved major progress in my welsh language skills. This community support and resource have been amazing; and I appreciate all of the assistance I have gotten lately. Now I want to increase my understanding of welsh varieties and speaking. :speaking_head:

I have completed the basic levels of say something in welsh and am satisfied joining simple discussions. My ability to listen are much better and I can now understand most common discussions. Yet; I have found that I suffer with cultural and dialectal variations in welsh. In addition; I want to improve my pronunciation so that it sounds more natural and fluent.
My main aim is to become fluent in communicating in various welsh varieties. I want to be able to use welsh in a variety of situations, both casual and official, and identify and adjust to various dialects

• Which materials does anyone suggest for learning about separate welsh variations? Are there any books; websites,. or courses that provide in depth knowledge into cultural variations in spelling; pronunciation; and grammatical rules

• Can anyone offer any audio books; television programs,. or videos on youtube with speakers from all parts of wales as well? I am looking for information that will introduce me to various languages and dialects in order to improve my listening knowledge and change.

• What tools has anyone seen most successful for improving welsh grammar? Are there applications; websites, and activities that focus on learning welsh sounds and pronunciation structures?

• Where can I connect with welsh speakers from different locations as I learn and improve my skills? Are there any online communities, speech exchange services that allow you to have conversations with welsh speakers from other variations?

• Are there any performances, festivals, films, TV shows that focus on community welsh culture and language differences?

Also I have gone through some post related to this https://en.forum.saysomethingin.com/t/learning-welsh-as-an-independent-study-servicenow-north-or-south-dialect/4463 but I want to know more about the welsh varieties.

I would like to appreciate any kind of help. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:Thank you in advance for your support and advice. :saluting_face:

There are two very broad varieties of Welsh - we call them ‘North’ and ‘South’, but it’s actually much more complicated, because there are areas that will say some things using ‘northern’ constructions whilst also using ‘southern’ constructions for other things, and then there are areas that have their own little quirks that aren’t really covered by any courses. It’s often a case that towns only a few miles apart can have totally different accents and/or dialects, so it’s almost impossible for any course or book to cover them all.

Most TV companies producing programmes will try and get a variety of people from different parts of Wales to take part, so you will often hear a multitude of accents on S4C. But unless you know where the contributor is from, it may not be clear which dialect they are speaking.

There are podcasts, YouTube content, and S4C catch-up in Welsh online, so it’s possible to get a wide variety, so you will find (probably most likely on YouTube) things focusing on Welsh phonetics and pronunciation, but I don’t usually watch those so can’t recommend anything - perhaps someone else will jump in and say what they’ve found.
Cwmni Da have a YouTube page which has lots of short clips from their archive of programmes and there are many different accents to be heard in those, so those would be good for more listening practice. Here’s the link to that https://www.youtube.com/user/cwmnidatv

The biggest festival on Welsh culture is the National Eisteddfod. There will be loads of TV and radio coverage and a wide range of accents to be heard. It doesn’t really focus on language differences though - in general, to Welsh speakers, Welsh is Welsh and while they know there are different dialects, it really doesn’t bother them which dialect anyone uses, even when they come across dialect words they’ve never heard before!

Most general ‘Learn Welsh’ courses will look at grammar (SSiW is different - we concentrate on speaking, as you’ll have noticed!), and I think more are now available via zoom than there used to be. Again, perhaps others will jump in and say which they’ve attended. As for grammar books, you can’t go wrong with Gareth King’s ones. Lots of threads on here about those, but here’s a recent thread Gareth King's Grammar and Workbooks - #98 by M2017

Hope that helps a bit. :slight_smile:

3 Likes