WH Smith

I popped back home to Caerffili last weekend, and thought I’d pop into WH Smith to pick up a pocket Welsh dictionary. I couldn’t see one amongst all the other language dictionaries, so I asked if they had one. I was told they are not allowed to sell Welsh dictionaries, “it’s Head Office policy.” I’ve emailed WH Smith to find out if this is in fact the case, but no reply yet. Anybody come across any similar situations?

I’ve seen them in the Stratford Upon Avon branch. The WH Smith in Caernarfon had a very small Welsh language section but there was a Siop Lyfrau Cymraeg just round the corner.

Stu

I found the same here in Maidstone (I know, nowhere near Wales, but…) They have most other languages, French, German, Portuguese, Japanese, Polish and loads of Spanish. They even have a Latin dictionary! But no Welsh (or any other Celtic language come to think of it!). Even in Waterstones there’s nothing, but Waterstones DO have a local and Welsh section near the entrance at Swansea branch.

That’s so ******* preposterous that it sounds like a made-up policy by your Caerffili contact. This is supported by the fact that the dictionary is freely available on the W H Smith website:

(I carry no brief for W H Smith by the way.

Part of me is thinking yeap, this sounds about right, but the better part of me is thinking the person you spoke to is an idiot. Looking forward to their response - please post it here and then we can all write and complain to WH Smith if it’s the case. Diolch :wink: Anyway, it’s a good job I have the same dictionary I bought when I was eight or nine - held together with tape and a proud recipient of the long service medal.

Hi Antonio!

I don’t know about WHSmith, but did you know that there’s a Welsh bookshop in Caerffili? (or there used to be at least! I haven’t been there for a while)

It’s called Siop Menna, and it’s on Clive Street, by the railway station. Hope that helps!

Iestyn

Not allowed to sell Welsh dictionaries. I’ve heard some shocking excuses in my time but that’s a good one.

I don’t think I’ve seen any branches except perhaps the very smallest that don’t sell them. Sounds like a member of staff said the wrong thing and then it was too late to take it back.

Not allowed to sell Welsh dictionaries. I’ve heard some shocking excuses in my time but that’s a good one.

I don’t think I’ve seen any branches except perhaps the very smallest that don’t sell them. Sounds like a member of staff said the wrong thing and then it was too late to take it back.

Siop Menna has now closed…according to their, Twitter, site.

I just phoned WHSmith in Caerffili (the one in Castle Court Shopping centre, opposite the castle according to google maps) and a member of staff was good enough to physically check that they stocked Collins Welsh/English dictionaries. She said they are upstairs with the other dictionaries. (I just enquired, didn’t say anything else.)

She sounded competent and physically checked, but I haven’t seen for myself!

If that was the branch that was tried, it sounds likely that it was just incompetence on the part of another member of staff.

Whether there were any there in stock at the time that was tried originally is of course another matter, but if not, the excuse given seems to be just plain wrong.

Thankfully!

You can pay for your goods at the self-checkout in M&S, Leeds via a Cymraeg option…their ‘Welshcakes’ are a pretty poor variety though.

Still haven’t had a response, but it does look like I encountered someone having a bad day! When I get a response I will post it here.