Welsh TV - need your help!

I think we all have learned something there. That is incredibly useful and serious brownie points to whoever suggested it in the first place. It probably needs to be promoted more though!

1 Like

When my reading speed in Welsh was much slower, I found the reverse: I could grok the English in no time, & it helped me to catch the Welsh, whereas with Welsh subtitles I spent all my time reading instead of listening. These days I’d rather have Welsh subtitles or none, unless I’m really struggling, but that wasn’t always the best choice for me.

2 Likes

Same here!

However, I’d like to point out that even though I would like to have the option to have Welsh and English at the same time - for when I want to catch every detail of some specific dialogues - it’s important to leave the Welsh only or English only options of course!

By the way, the keyboard shortcuts are brilliant!
I have to figure out why occasionally I press the keys but nothing happens (both on full screen and smaller screen - I guess it’s as if there was another window open and active but no big deal…most of the time they worked great!)

2 Likes

Definitely! Working on it…

You’re right, all of you - the options are the important thing, and having the choice to suit wherever you happen to be on your learning journey.

Thank you all so much for these really helpful and constructive contributions. I love this forum! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

This is super interesting, so I thought I’d have a go with the shortcuts, then explain about them in the newsletter, but I must be doing something wrong.

I started up S4C Clic and played a programme from yesterday in Dal i Fyny, but no amount of clicking on C or W or E made any subtitles appear.

I clicked on the icon for subtitles and chose Welsh, so I got those showing, then tried clicking E, but they didn’t change. Then I tried holding Ctrl and clicking W, and that closed the window I was viewing in :joy:

What am I doing wrong?

I have no idea! (I had to have it all explained to me in words of one syllable in the first place…)

Is it perhaps a browser thing? Sometimes things that work on one won’t do so on another - I tried it out on Chrome, if that’s any help?

OK, I was using Chrome as well, but I usually put S4C on full screen, which I did and the shortcuts didn’t work.

I’ve just gone back and left it not on full screen, and the shortcuts work there! I’m not sure why they would work in that case, but not full screen. Perhaps that’s a question for your developers.

1 Like

I get the same experience as Deborah in Chrome. At first I thought it was PICNIC (Problem In Chair Not In Computer) :joy: and couldn’t work out why it was intermittent, but I can replicate that it doesn’t work in Full Screen :frowning:

3 Likes

I’ve just tested the shortcuts in Firefox and they don’t work in either mode - full screen or the initial version.

1 Like

Oh, I am so going to steal that…

1 Like

Thanks, @Deborah-SSi and @Cetra - I’ll pass that back…

1 Like

We used to say PEBKAC when I was a developer - Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair :rofl:

3 Likes

Works on Firefox here in both modes!

Just while testing it a bit yesterday, didn’t work at some point so closed browser, started again and it worked. No idea what had happened, as it now seems to work ok all the time!

Edit: just realized that it doesn’t work full screen when I see this circle on the lower right when full screen (and the play command and line etc. blow like when you hover on with the mouse).
Do you see that too?
Screenshot 2023-04-18 alle 18.45.27

If you’re having trouble getting the shortcuts to work in full-screen mode, try clicking on the screen with the mouse once you’re in full-screen mode. On some systems and/or browsers this may pause the video, in which case click again to restart it. After that, the shortcuts work for me in Edge, Chrome and Firefox.

I think the reason for this is that when you go full-screen the “focus” - the bit of the screen your commands are supposed to affect - gets lost, and clicking on the video re-focuses it.

If you’re using a Mac, it’s Command-C and so on, not Control-C.

It’s a pity we couldn’t have had the full set with Control-S for Saesneg, but that’s already been reserved for “Save”. Maybe we should have Control-F for “iaeth fain?”

3 Likes

And that works perfectly. Cheers Phil.

Well you’re a hugely useful person to have around!! This is fab - thanks so much for sharing.

Is this a current survey? When I clicked on the link it said that it was open only until May 8 2022…? Sorry if I’m doing something wrong.

Yes, it’s still current - Sara mentions further up the thread that they got the date wrong.

1 Like