Welsh teams in the Masters Hockey Tournament in Australia

We’ve had an email from Glyn Thomas, captain of the over 70s Welsh hockey team, to say that they will be in the Newcastle area of NSW for the Masters Hockey Tournament 2nd to 13th May http://www.wgmaworldcup2016.com/

It would be great if people in the area could get along and support the Welsh teams. There are over 60s, over 65s and over 70s teams. How impressive would it be to see Welsh flags fluttering in the crowds, but if you don’t have a flag you could always wave a leek :slight_smile:

And some of the players are Welsh speakers, so you might get a chance for a quick conversation or two in Welsh!

3 Likes

We have some friends in the Lake Macquarie area, good excuse to go stay with them and cheer on the Dutch, Welsh and Australian teams!

1 Like

That sounds great, Louis!

Glyn has sent a couple of documents through with the dates and fixtures:

Playing Schedule.pdf (90.9 KB)

Over 70s Fixtures.pdf (30.4 KB)

He’s happy for me to pass on his contact details, so PM me if you’d like to get in touch with him.

1 Like

Here is the latest news from Glyn:

I am really proud as Captain of the first ever Cymru Hoci Dros Saith Deg side in the Cwpan y Byd yn Awstralia.

Semi Final against England we lost 2-0.

Bronze medal game against Siapan dydd Iau.

Did you manage to get along to the game at all @louis?

Fingers crossed for tomorrow’s game! Pob lwc Cymru!

EDIT: and I love the automated response from Glyn’s email when I replied to wish him luck:

Dw i’n chwarae hoci yn Awstralia
I am playing hockey in Australia

1 Like

Sadly, no - things got too busy here getting the house fixed up… :frowning:
But great to hear they made the semi-finals!

I’m waiting to hear from Glyn how they got on in the Bronze playoff. This was from the night before:

The three Grand Masters teams went out tonight for a meal and though the Welsh Over 60s and the Welsh Over 65s teams have finished all their games they will come and support us in the morning to see if the first ever Welsh Over 70s Hockey Team can get a bronze medal for third place in the World Cup.

Then we sang We’ll keep a welcome, Cwm Rhondda, Delilah and finally Mae Hen Wlad fy Nhadau to rapturous support from the other diners!

Hwyl fawr

Glyn (Capten Cymru Hoci Meistri Dros Saith Deg)

2 Likes

And here it is - the final result - and it sounds like they really enjoyed themselves too!

Bronze medal , we drew 0-0 with Japan and then had 5 penalty shoot outs where a player has 8 seconds to have a free run at goal. I managed to save all 5 and then got mobbed.

The first medal of any description at the World Grand Masters Hockey Cup for Wales at any age group, 60s 65s or 70s. This is the first time we have entered a 70s as well. So proud of the boys.

2 Likes