Welsh National Eisteddfod Llanrwst, Conwy 2019 - SSiW meet-up poll

I’m coming by train from Birmingham on Friday. Should arrive at 19.51.

I will be arriving on Saturday about 2pm

I’ll be there on the Sunday evening with the Cor y Gymanfa. We’ll be performing in the Pafiliwn at 8pm for the Cymanfa Ganu, so come along if you want to join in some good old-fashioned hymn singing. I’m also competing in the solo competition in the Shw’mae, Su’mae tent on the Thursday. The singing competitions start at 9:30 and my slot will be from 10:45. You’ll know which is me because I shall be singing and using British Sign Language hefyd!

2 Likes

Finally got my volunteering rota for the Eisteddfod. Two sessions every day from the first Saturday to the Friday. I seem to remember that two sessions includes a food voucher. Is anyone else apart from @amandalaing volunteering?

I can only do one day, so I’m hoping to get to the Eisteddfod on Tuesday … any suggestions as to how will we find other SSiW’ers in the Maes itself please?

All I have is times, no idea of what I’ll be doing.

I thought Maes D is now Sutmae, Shwmae?

It is but people still call it maes D. If you put that as one of your choices then it was a different person organizing the rota. She got first choice then people were passed on to the organizer of everything else who should have known about the Shwmae, Sutmae shifts .

I’m in Shwmae Su’mae on Sunday and Thursday mornings

What do you do when you volunteer? Do you have specific jobs or just there to answer questions? Just out of interest :slight_smile:

I’ll let you know when I’m there!!! Never done it before.

1 Like

I’m there for 3 evenings so I expect I’ll be stewarding at the evening events. In previous years I’ve been ‘happy to help’ which means handing out maps and directing people to where they want to go. Sut mae, Shwmae is generally handing out free tea and coffee.

1 Like

When I applied you had to choose 3 areas you wanted to cover and the times you were available. I put Shwmae Sumae, Ty Gwerin and the Pavilion. Now rota (apart from Shwmae Sumae) just says stewarding so not sure where I’ll be.

1 Like

But 14 sessions altogether.

I volunteered at Maes D when the Eisteddfod was at Meifod. We helped with teas and coffees and also other activities that were going on. I enjoyed meeting a lot of interesting people, even though my Welsh was extremely limited. The highlight was coming off shift and hearing someone with a beautiful voice start singing. A few stands along Rhys Meirion was standing and had started singing, just impromptu and with such feeling. That captured the true feeling of the Eisteddfod for me.

3 Likes

Can someone explain the pavilion competitions and chairing ceremonies? For the competitions and you go in at anytime or do you have to be there at the start of each competiton? Is it difficult to get in to see the chairing? Do you need a ticket or do you have to get in a queue early?

I have a spare ticket for the Cymanfa Ganu Sunday evening at 8pm due to a general ticketing cockup by someone who could have been me or someone else! If anyone would like it please let me know.

Same time as Bryn Fôn unfortunately so I’ll be on the maes

Anything that’s on in the day is free to go in, but for popular things like these, yes, get there early and queue. The evening events usually require you to buy a special ticket.

Thanks Dee. I’ve got tickets for the evening events that I want to go. I would like to get in to see one the chairing on Friday if I can.

Hi Dee. Still a bit confused. I have a pavilion ticket and a seat number provided. During the day is this my seat always, do I have to queue to use it and might I find someone else sitting in it? Up to what time can I use it or is it obvious when daytime events change to evening events that need separate booking?