Welsh National Eisteddfod Llanrwst, Conwy 2019 - SSiW meet-up poll

I forgot to say - we take up to 2 dogs in Ty Nain at no extra charge.

1 Like

Does anyone know when the actual location of the Maes is made known? I want to look for cottages as near as possible but sods law will mean I will book something on the wrong side of a North Wales mountain!

The inside scoop (as our American members might say) is that the Maes will be halfway between Betws y Coed and Llanrwst, by the turn up to Capel Garmon.

BTW, weā€™re planning on spending the whole week at the Maes Carafannau. If anyone else is planning on the same, itā€™s possible to make a group booking so that all the SSIW caravans (not tents, unfortunately) would be gathered together. Anyone else interested in that?

3 Likes

We will almost certainly be camping in a tent on the official site - hopefully there will be others! (We are currently snuggled up in our trusty old tent in the middle of a thunderstorm in the German Alps, bringing back many happy memories of last year! Our main floor had a river flowing through tonight - arguably preferable to a swamp?)

2 Likes

We are contemplating camping. We havenā€™t been camping for a few years, but have all the kit. As long as the wine shop and deli in Llanrwst is within walking distance, we might survive!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I booked in Betws-y-Coed in the hope that there will be buses or itā€™ll be in walking distance from the Maes. I have no idea whether either of those things will be true.

ā€¦Thatā€™s no help, is it?

1 Like

From what others have said, the Maes will be on the Betws-y-Coed ā€˜sideā€™ of Llanrwst towards Capel Garmon so it should (in theory) be close enough to walk. There probably will be shuttle buses but I donā€™t think it will be confirmed until next year. Perhaps there will be other SSIWers staying in Betws-y-Coed?

1 Like

This is roughly where the Eisteddfod location will be, hope it helpsā€¦

4 Likes

Seems like a good plan to me @Isata - Bing Maps gives 1hr 12mins walking all the way from Betws-y-Coed to Llanrwst so if the Maes is nearer Betws-y Coed than Llanrwst, as @S_J says, looks as if the walk would be only half an hour or less (and might even be as quick as going by car if there are going to be big queues trying to get through Betws-y-Coed :slight_smile:)

3 Likes

Looking at where Catrin has put the star on her map the distance would be about 2.6 mile from the Betws-y-Coed train station and about 2.3 mile from the Llanrwst train station (train stations used for reference points). So at a nice, steady 3mph should take about 50mins. With company this would be a very pleasant morning and evening stroll. Iā€™ve no idea where theyā€™ll be basing the park and ride next year but judging on recent years may be even farther away that that. Weā€™ll see.

2 Likes

Well, thatā€™s near as dammit perfect! Thanks for the map, Catrin.

Btw, if thereā€™s a group looking for a house, this oneā€™s in Betws-y-Coed and looks lovely, if a tad expensive, though the shared cost amongst 6 might not be too bad. Itā€™s a Ā£20 deposit.

1 Like

Could you recalculate that at a brisk walking speed of 3.37 miles per hour, please? :wink:

Certainly ā€¦

46mins 17secs to Betws-y-Coed.
40mins 57secs to Llanrwst.

2 Likes

Thanks. Iā€™ll get back to you if I twist my ankle in the meantimeā€¦

2 Likes

A little bit of a play on Google maps and Iā€™ve found a footpath which brings the walk to approx. 40 mins. It looks like there is a footpath along the main road as well.

3 Likes

Youā€™re right, there is.

On foot you can use a pedestrian bridge which takes you from near Betws y Coed station (it comes off Old Church Road) to the A470 - you come out on the A470 near-ish the lane which leads up to several B&Bs and so on (Bron Celyn, Tyn y Fron, Aberconwy House, etc). Be warned though - this path can get muddy.

And you are also right that there is a surfaced path next to the A470.

2 Likes

Excellent. And we can stop at Zip World on the way, if weā€™re so inclined.

Ah this is beautiful! I looked at it when we were searching and in the end it came down to this one and another which had a hot tub and was a little nearer. We will be sharing with my brother, his partner and the girls. Iā€™m really surprised that itā€™s still available actually and as you say, when you share the cost, itā€™s quite reasonable.

2 Likes

There is log cabin and hostel accommodation available for stays of 1 night upwards at Trawsfynydd via www.CadairViewLodge.co.uk Pet friendly stays available. We can sleep 48 guests a night across all accommodation.
Prices arenā€™t on website yet but information is available by email info@cadairviewlodge.co.uk or phone 01978 759603
Trawsfynydd is approx. 30 minutes drive from Betws y Coed and about 15 minutes drive from Blaenau Ffestiniog for those looking to travel to Betws y Coed by train.

1 Like

Hot tub?! :open_mouth:
Our little cottage is now looking a bit mediocre. There are some board gamesā€¦