Welsh learners in the South (USA)

Hello everyone,
I am another Texan and have been learning Welsh for about six months. I have been enjoying SSiW very much so far and have gotten to Lesson 5 of Unit 1. Like Trey was mentioning , I think it would be great to create some sort of virtual “hangout” or forum where those of chat and give each other support (nothing against this forum of course). The problem for us in the US, is that we are spread out over a very large area. I think anything to make us all closer would be great.

1 Like

Hello
I live in Florida. I first started the SSiWelsh course a few years ago. My parents, grandparents etc are from Wales but they only spoke English. The course is excellent but I don’t have much time to spend practicing. And with no one to converse with it is difficult to expand my knowledge. I know most of lesson #1 as I have worked though it entirely. Here’s to hoping a Welsh speaker moves in next door lol

1 Like

Here’s to hoping a Welsh speaker moves in next door lol

You need a Welsh wizard to cast an appropriate spell @Glenn. Where’s Merlin when you need him? :slight_smile:

You may be lucky though. By chance I discovered we had a Welsh family living just round the corner. The lady of the house told me they were Welsh on the one chance I’ve had so far to speak with her, but I didn’t have the chance to ask if she spoke Welsh, and every other time I’ve seen her she’s been busy talking on her flipping mobile (cell phone)!

She may of course be busy speaking Welsh to her mum back home, but my hearing isn’t good enough to tell at a distance. I could get up a bit closer I suppose, but - while I’m willing to do many things in the cause of furthering the Welsh language - stalking a female neighbour isn’t (yet) one of them! :slight_smile:

(I also live in the south, but of England, I’m afraid, not of the USA. :slight_smile: )/.

1 Like

I also live in Florida but was born and raised in South Wales. My Dad’s side of the family were Welsh speaking and although I was familiar with pronunciations, we lived in an English speaking part of the country and so I never learned to speak the language except for a few words and of course the National Anthem and some of the more popular Welsh songs.

I have worked through the first SSIW Southern course twice and each time something comes up to distract me and prevent me moving on. I would be interested in joining a group to build on my vocabulary before moving onto the Intermediate course. I have never used Google Hangouts either but would be interested in trying.

I’m originally a Wisconsinite, but live in the Dallas area now and would definitely be interested in a regional google hangout. Our family lore says both sides of the family originally came over from wales, but I’m the first to try to learn the language in generations as far as I know. It’s been a little slow leaning so far but having some fellow learners to share with would certainly help!

I’m living in Austin and would really like a regional hangout place too where we can speak and get thinks going over here in the US. I’ve even asked my tutor from the Bangor correspondence course if she knows any live chat program that I could use to connect with people and practice my Welsh. This is the only suggestion she gave me and it’s not ideal because this is a forum and doesn’t really support smooth conversations. Anyway, I’m game with your idea. Please let me know if you get something started.

Swhmai
If you are able to FaceTime or Skype. … I’ll talk to you… as long as you don’t mind me in my beginner stage luv … I’m on lesson 6… but the offer is there. I have the same problem up here in Vancouver.
Hey

1 Like

Hi Jason,

Do you get the weekly email? (See the FAQ for signing up if you don’t)

There is a section at the end that gives the dates and times for Virtual USA meetups - where others in your time zone chat online to practise their Welsh. That might help you.

Dee

1 Like

Hi I am from New Zealand and currently living in Australia and learning Welsh I have wanted to learn for a long time and I believe that this course is the best. I don’t know that I would have been able to learn any other way. I have done Level 1, of the Southern course as well as course 1 and 2, it is great and I am still going.

2 Likes

Hi guys
I’m not normally quite the biff as I appear to be on the Web. I’m just not familiar with this site yet.
If anyone wants to talk to me let me know.
I’m not sure what the practice is on this forum and not sure if we sre supposed to dish out our emails etc
I’m in Vancouver so PST time zone.

I’m from central Florida and have gone through the old course up through 5, I’ve switched over to the new lessons. Nice to know that I might be able to talk with someone one day. My dream is to go to Wales and climb Mt. Snowden…

1 Like