Welsh Encounters of the Nervous Kind

Time to revive this thread for the new forum, I think, and I’ll go ahead and start us off. I ended up in CK’s before going to vote in the EU election yesterday afternoon, and I heard an older couple behind me chatting away in Welsh. I couldn’t quite remember where Llanbadarn Fawr was (I forgot that that was the village I went through to get to Llety Parc earlier this year), so I turned around and asked for directions in Welsh. I even understood some of the directions I was given. I felt dead chuffed :D.

So, what are other people’s experiences yn Gymraeg?

My first Bootcamp using Welsh was absolutely exhausting. I had no idea what was going on and everytime I went to open my mouth I’d forgotten everything that was floating around in my brain…
God!!! it was really frustrating and several days in I gave up ever trying to be a Welsh speaker…
Funnily, an hour after in the Tresaith local my subconscious decided it would takeover and do the talking for me…
I can remember being amazed as I heard a trickle of Welsh coming out.

After booking the smallest flat for a weeks holiday in Tresaith, next to the Canolfan, I needed to chat to Heledd to clear up some details. I really respect Heledd but because she is so eloquently Welsh-speaking and such a lovely person, for some reason I felt very nervous! I shouldn’t have been because she is very supportive…