"Welsh cakes"

Thanks @Richmountart and @henddraig :smiley: Eating the bread with some cheese for lunch and itā€™s heavenly. Wish I could share it with all of you!

1 Like

I grew up in Monmouthshire and we always called these bakestones rather than Welsh cakes.
Is the term bakestone used in any other areas of Wales ?

On Gower, the bakestone was what you cooked them on!

Yes, Bakestones in Abertillery, Blaenau Gwent. Admittedly it used to be part of Monmouthshire.

1 Like

Back in lockdown (sort of) here in Wrexham which is a good excuse to get baking. Is anyone willing to part with their top secret cacen gris recipes? Iā€™ve made them in the past with varying degrees of success but i canā€™t remember which recipe Iā€™ve used!

For non-yeast version

225g self raising - sieved
110g butter
An egg
85g caster sugar
Paw full of currants or sultanas

Rub butter into flour to get crumbs, add in everthing else to mix to get a stiffish dough. Usually I knead it gently with the palm of one hand. Flatten the dough to about 1/4 inch think and use a cutter to make cakes. I use an iron griddle at a medium heat, let the thing reach a steady temp then cook the cakes in small batches for 2 ish mins each side. Youā€™ll hear them sing if the griddle temperatureā€™s correct and donā€™t take your eye off them!
Pob lwc,
Andy

1 Like

Smashing, thank you! :+1:

1 Like

Ooh, they were good, diolch! Added a smattering of mixed spice (only because I love the stuff) and they were delicious!

2 Likes

Looking perfect! The mixed spice is a personal thing, me and Mrs G are ok with it, the dog, not so keenšŸ™„

1 Like