Well look what I found! from 1831

A Welsh Phrase book for the gentle traveller into Wild Wales, Invaluable if you need some plain snuff (not scented) or need a rushlight in your room. And what if your horse stumbles and you have to recourse to a local peasant for help?

10 Likes

What an interesting find. Some useful stuff and love some words and phrases like llodau ( pantaloons) and how to ask for silk ladies shoes! Fascinating

2 Likes

Interesting that what he calls ā€œaspirate mutationā€ is what we call ā€œnasal mutationā€, and what he calls ā€œLight mutationā€, we call ā€œaspirate mutationā€.

2 Likes

I notice a lot of the question sentences in it start with ā€œAā€¦ā€. For example, page 62, ā€œA oes gwestai ar y ffordd?ā€. Is that a common way of starting a question? Itā€™s not what Iā€™m familiar with either on here or DuoLingo where I would ask simply, ā€œOes gwestai ar y ffordd?ā€

Is it more formal?

1 Like

Itā€™s more old fashioned. Itā€™s also a root of mutations apparently appearing out of nowhere. The causative A has disappeared but the mutations it caused remain.

2 Likes

On yhe Northern Course weā€™re taught ā€œai eich plant ydy rheina?ā€ Are those your children?

1 Like

Thatā€™s interestingā€¦ on the Southern itā€™s ā€œife eich plant chi yw rheinaā€ (I think). Yw and Ydy are interchangeable, but I wonder what relation ā€œifeā€ bears to ā€œaiā€?

@aran?

Ife kinda means ā€œis itā€ and is more colloquial than ā€œaiā€ in this instance :blush:

Weā€™re very casual down south. Not like you stuffy northerners :smiley:

1 Like

Iā€™d say itā€™s wrong talkingā€¦ but Iā€™ve got hiccups at the moment, so I deserve sympathy and understanding.

1 Like

Awww, poor you. Whatā€™s Welsh for ā€œthere, thereā€? :smiley:

1 Like

O, bechodā€¦ yeah, too right. :wink:

You might also like The Touristsā€™ English-Welsh Vocabulary from 1853. It can be downloaded in PDF format.

5 Likes

If I ever need to say ā€œI feel very languidā€ or ā€œsudden deaths are frequentā€ in old fashioned, formal Welsh I now know where to look!

3 Likes

Was listening to Radio Cymru this morning. Lots of stuff about the coming Eisteddfod. During the main prize giving ceremonies the Prifardd, the chair of ceremonies, asks
ā€˜A Oes Heddwch?ā€™ Is there peace? I knew that, but had forgotten while thinking about this discussion.

1 Like

This is cool, nice find! There are loads of things in there that are different. For example, cloron instead of tatws for poatoes; boreufwyd instead of brecwast for breakfast!

Also, a whole section called ā€œTravelling over the mountains. Meeting a peasantā€!!

2 Likes

Bendigedig! :grinning: I love these old phrasebooks and dictionariesā€¦ thanks @dianne-1 and @davidneale for these links! :pray:

1 Like