Verbs that dont have 'n prefix

Is there a list or table giving verbs like eisiau that drop the n please.

Not that Iā€™m aware of - but there arenā€™t many of them, so donā€™t worry too much about it!

Eisiau, angen, that might be about it!.. :sunny:

Sometimes moyn in the south but only because people are using it like eisiau. Otherwise, Aran is right, I think.

1 Like

The only other one I can think of is dal when it means ā€œstillā€:

Dw i dal isio siarad ā€œI still want to speakā€

Though in its other meanings, dal always has the yn, e.g. Dw iā€™n dal y bws ā€œIā€™m catching the busā€.

(You could also argue that dal ā€œstillā€ is more of an adverb than a verbā€¦ but I wonā€™t get into grammary stuff :smile: )

2 Likes

Ohhh ā€¦ my list of them is long one!

BUT ONLY BECAUSE I FORGET TO USE 'N PREFIX IN ALMOST EVERY SENTENCE i MAKE!

But yes, on the sirious matter ā€¦ thank you for clearing things up. My life will become easier now knowing this.

3 Likes

I was told that the linking 'yn, goes between the part of ā€˜bodā€™ and the verb. The reason you donā€™t have ā€˜ynā€™ between ā€˜bodā€™ and eisiau/angen/etc is that they are nouns and not verbs.
Is this an absolute rule or are there exceptions? However, it does apply to eisiau and angen.

Well, itā€™s a rule, but there are very few nouns which have come to be used like verbs in that particular way! Eisiau and angen as you say, moyn (a verb) sometimes follows if you want, possibly due to following eisiau, as RobertBruce says but not necessarily, as does dal (what kinetic said) sometimes when meaning need but not necessarily- but there arenā€™t enough of these things to have a general rule, really, I would have thought.

1 Like

This is a grammar-geek aside, butā€¦ if weā€™re talking about parts of speech, then Iā€™ve always personally considered isio and angen to be prepositions, not nouns. Yes, they derive from nouns, but they behave exactly like prepositions. Prepositional phrases also follow bod without an yn - e.g. dw i ar y ffordd, mae o mewn trwbl. Compare: dw i isio siarad vs. dw i am siarad, both meaning ā€œI want to speakā€. See what I mean?

And they behave the same in other tenses too: for example, if you put dw i ar y ffordd into the perfect, you get dw i wedi bod ar y ffordd. And with isio itā€™s the same: dw i wedi bod isio siarad (and not *dw i wedi isio siarad).

3 Likes

That is a really helpful way of looking at it, Kinetic - ta v. v. much.

Thank you for that. I have printed these responses out to put into my Welsh grammar book!

My advice is not to get into lists or tables here. As our fellow posters have pointed out, there are few ā€˜verbsā€™ that make up that list. ā€˜Ynā€™ has many alternatives, depending on what you want to say, like wedi, dal, ar fin, newydd, am, heb - think of eisiau and angen as two more. These are all link words that are used with bod and a verb noun (to use Gareth Kingā€™s terminology)
Anyway, that is my simple take on this.

1 Like