Using "yn" with verb formations (x-post from reddit.com/r/learnwelsh)

That must be a regional thing then, I think. Unless it really is changing by analogy with eisiau. And I do wonder if the 'n is sometimes hard to hear because of the m following? I can see how Wi’n moyn might sound like Wi’m moyn in fast speech.

Oh dear, there I go generalising inappropriately…
Actually I’m only talking about one person, but definitely repeatedly and also in writing (which is where I noticed). I suspect it has something to do with the analogy with eisiau.

1 Like

I tried to say this quickly several times but I just couldn’t mash “n” and “m” together. Probably because I’m a learner and want things to sound as properly as possible … (well just guessing) :slight_smile:

Me too - that’s what comes of living with a Gog!

1 Like

Any use of moyn is a regional thing. (I don’t think you can speak of ‘standard’ with such a regional word!) And no, it’s not just mis hearing. It’s a definite, considered use of moyn without yn- ranging from a usage which is natural, casual and unthinking. Very common, and whether you think it is right or wrong, I’m surprised you havent come across it. It may well have started because of the influence of how eisiau etc is used, and it’s evolution made easier by the absorption of yn by the m, (I’ve certainly heard that before as a possible explanation of its development) but people definitely know they aren’t using yn. What you say about it having to take an yn is a point of view, but I myself am willing to accept the common use of moyn without, as well as with an yn. Both are used by people who care and know about grammar as well as by those who - quite rightly! - dont.

Envy! Living with a German isn’t much help in the current project… :grinning:

2 Likes

Very short discussion on moyn and “yn” on the always excellent Forum Wales site here.

http://www.forumwales.com/fwforum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2267

Talking of regional, the bloke answering seems to come from an area I talk to a lot of people, so make of that what you will!

But I’m sure that people fight like rats in a sack over this, as with a lot of Welsh as she is spoke questions!

But we forgive you. Mostly.

1 Like

Cashed in a few “talking about Welsh rather than just in Welsh” chips with a small group of people last night because of this thread. They were actually more towards the point of view that using “yn” with “moyn” sounds odd and unnatural than I thought! Not meaningful as a survey, of course, but it fits in with what I’ve heard from others before (both in the way they speak and what they say about it.)