Using the i-pad

Don’t know which version you’ve got, but you can also try this: from the home screen (all the icons showing), swipe up from the bottom of the screen. Hopefully, this will show volume (and other) controls (volume is lower left on mine). To dismiss, swipe back down. This may also work when in apps (it did when in the SSiW app, for example).

(just checked - it also works when in the browser)

(oh good grief… I didn’t see that Pete already gave the same advice!)

2 Likes

It was definitely @philipnewton

2 Likes

Hah - I blame old eyes :wink: Thanks for the correction, Pete!

2 Likes

I’d love to take the credit really :wink:

I hope it’s ok if I join in with a related query:
I have an Amazon (Kindle) fire, on which the page is full screen, as on a laptop, which makes the text quite small. I’ve tried enlarging the text in the accessibility setting. A note mentioned that when on a page, tapping the screen would enlarge to this size, but this doesn’t happen. Finger & thumb sliding movements don’t seem to enlarge (as on a mobile) either.
Does anyone have any thoughts?

That’s OK, I had noticed it wasn’t you! But @lewie and @philipnewton I have found how to do this, but it seems the sound is full on! I suspect the problem is with my old ears. I know I can no longer hear the higher registers of bird song! Thanks to all of you for the help! At least i now know how to set things!

2 Likes

You could get a bluetooth external speaker for extra volume

I’d probably get an echo then!
To @JohnYoung sorry I know zilch about any tablet but iPad and, you will have noticed, little about that! @tatjana,can you help?

1 Like

FAIL!

No, sorry. I’m not that techy especially as I don’t possess Kindle. I use my Kindle Android app and there all seams to be good. I’ve set the font to really large one in settings and it worked. I even could adapt the color of the background to cream instead of white one so that my eyes can rest a bit while reading.

Well, let’s see:

If you tap this with the finger you should get something like this:

If you click on aA button you should get something like this:

The largest font setting on my tablet is this:

And the smallest font is this:

Do you have some similar like this and if yes did it not work?

Hi, Tatjana.
Yes, on your imported book pages, if I tap, the page enlarges. However, on the normal SSi post text, the font/typeface will not enlarge. Similarly I can enlarge the SSi home page by finger->thumb expanding < > , but as soon as I go to the forum, the size returns to normal. :frowning:

@lewie, @jamesmahoney, @Kinetic maybe … does this has something to do with Discourse software? I presume it’s could be it’s not too compatible with Kindle???

No, sorry Tatjana - I’m talking about using my Amazon Fire tablet (previously known as Kindle Fire) to view SSiW.
Its just that I can’t enlarge the text. Not a great problem, but would be great if I could. Thanks. John.

Yes I know. Maybe someone of tagged above can help anyway. I’ve got the idea of Discorse not to be compatible on the basis of you’ve said that you can enlarge the site but not the forum. Site is based on different software than the forum so you never know.

1 Like

Is the text size small for other websites as well?

There’s usually an option in the Settings for the web browser app to change the default text size, which should be able to help.

You could also trying installing a different web browser. (Though since I know virtually zero about amazon tablets - it’s possible they have locked it down to prevent you installing different web browsers, meaning this option wouldn’t be open to you. )

2 Likes

Thanks both. It seems that the text size selection in the settings only preselects a size for reading the book pages. Other than that, the text size seems to be standard on all sites, but as I mentioned, this can be enlarged by touching the screen opening the gap between finger and thumb. However, this doesn’t seem to work on the SSiw forum if I use the Chrome browser. Alternatively, if I access the forum via e-mail notifications I can enlarge the text. I hope that this makes sense.