Using Google Translate

That makes so much sense, a gouging plane. :slight_smile:

Google Translate I’ve found is generally fine if you are after a single word or perhaps checking a spelling (i.e perhaps using it more as a dictionary, rather than a translation tool) but when you start going beyond that, it suffers a bit…

…having said that, Google Translate in French is brilliant and has never let me down. Probably because it has had a lot more contribution and work put into it.

2 Likes

That echoes something said by @tatjana, contributors can make a big difference.

2 Likes

I was wondering how you got on with this construction - I don’t know why but it ties me up in knots - I just bumped into it again looking something else up in Gareth Kings Modern dictionary and he says its a defective verb and an unusual construction which made me feel a bit better - also it’s not a pattern I’ve encountered using SSIW

If you hear it “in the wild”, it’s fine.
Emphasis of a particular word in spoken English is often achieved by stressing that word. Same thing can be achieved by altering word order. As in this example. I find it incredibly poetic and a beautiful way of playing with language!

1 Like

Bringing fi (or hi or nhw or whatever) to the front of the sentence is an emphasis thing - you can make all sorts of things with fi + sydd or fi + oedd - fi oedd isio siarad efo hi, fi sydd angen bwyta cyntaf, etc etc… but definitely one to pick up by osmosis rather than have added to the glorious mixture of ‘stuff to be learnt’… :slight_smile: