Use of 'y' between words

I get used to sentneces where two verbs are used sequentially eg On i’n trio dweud -----

But Bo fi angen y Cyfle I siarad ----

Hopefull these are good examples as I would like to know if there are rules regarding this link of ‘y’.

thanks Ifor

The problem with y is that it fulfills more than one function. In the partial sentence you posted, it functions as the definite article for the following noun (y cyfle - the chance)

I suspect that you are thinking of sentences like
Dw i’n meddwl y dylwn ni fynd. – I think that we should go.
In this example, the y links the two clauses, so in this case it translates as that (and it’s used if the second clause starts with a verb that isn’t a form of bod).
But in spoken Welsh this linking y is often dropped.

4 Likes

Hopefully a better example :
the first clause ’ dw i’n trio siarad Cymraeg’ - I am tryng TO soeak Welsh
Then I heard ‘Mae gyda fi rhywbeth y dweud’ - I have got something TO say.
‘TO’ is used in both but ‘y’ only in the latter.

In these instances it should be an i, not y:
Mae gyda fi rhywbeth i ddweud.

This usage of prepositions is a point of confusion that pops up from time to time, so instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, I’m linking to an older thread containg excellent explanations:

2 Likes

I’m enjoying going back to basics with AutoMagic but it seems like S. Welsh eg moyn instead of isio and nawr instead of rhwan. Is there a North version?[quote=“Hendrik, post:4, topic:39456, full:true”]

In these instances it should be an i, not y:
Mae gyda fi rhywbeth i ddweud.

This usage of prepositions is a point of confusion that pops up from time to time, so instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, I’m linking to an older thread containg excellent explanations:

[/quote]

Yes, there is. I can’t tell you exactly where this would be on your screen, as I think the layout depends on what kind of device you use, but there should be a settings button on the AutoMagic screen, and on there you can switch between South and North versions.

1 Like

I dont know if this helps -
My phone uses Android (non i-phone).
The settings button is at the bottom of the screen. Then you click on N Welsh for English, or similar wording on the drop down choice.