Use of ddaru

I think you’re about right - weles i ddim, nes i ddim gweld, dwi ddim wedi gweld, ddaru fi ddim gweld, sa’i wedi gweld, fi ddim wedi gweld, nagw i wedi gweld. Off the top of my head!

2 Likes

Then you have “welais i mohono fe” = “I didn’t see him” :dizzy_face:
(Bet you didn;t see that coming :laughing:)

5 Likes

I never see that mohono fe thing coming…someday it’ll come naturally, but so far…nope! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

There’s a good discussion here :smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the link! I do understand it in theory, it was in the old courses that I did first…it’s just that I never seem to remember to actually use it :blush:

1 Like

I never seem to remember to actually use it :blush:

Same here :blush:

1 Like

smo fi wedi gweld = does dim ohono fi wedi gweld doesn’t it - no wonder it got shortened to smo and sai similarly.

1 Like

Nobody does.

4 Likes

My tutor at Lampeter-Pont-Stefan was Christine Jones whose book on Welsh Grammar does not mention ddaru at all! Oh well, Mae y Gramadeg
Cymraeg fel perfedd moch! ,meddai nhw!

Well there you go, then… :wink:

3 Likes

I was speaking to a couple of youngsters from Waunfawr (a village next to Caernarfon) yesterday and they were using “ddaru” so I guess it must be used in that area as well

2 Likes

It could be said that the section on defective verbs, is, well… :wink:

1 Like

Yes, but I think that a more precise statement is that Welsh has at least six ways of saying “I didn’t see”/"I wasn’t seeing/“I haven’t seen”/“I hadn’t seen”/“I saw not”.

Welsh is a lot like English in the varied ways of expressing verb tense and aspect. Learning Welsh gave me a lot of sympathy for others who were learning English as a foreign language.

1 Like