Turning 50, asking for help

Geraint here, I’m turning 50 soon (difficult to believe, I know) and to make me feel a little better about it I’m trying to raise a small amout of money for Blood Bikes Wales (Beiciau Gwaed Cymru), a charity that I help out regularly on my days off.

Way back in 2005 my wife suffered an ectopic pregnancy and had a life-saving operation receiving 6 units of blood in the process. We both used to give blood regularly but now we can’t so in August I started as a volunteer rider with BBWales as a way to give something back. So far I’ve done over 160 hours and covered more than 2000 miles with more shifts coming up next week if the weather stays above freezing.

Blood bikes are used to transport blood, plasma, breast milk, medical equipment, documentation, covid tests and samples, and basically anything that fits on the bikes in order to save our NHS’s money, and it’s also quicker and more efficient than normal courier services. It’s 100% voluntary and relies completely on donations. This year we’ve had to look at other ways to finance the day to day costs because usually that would come from fundrasing at local shows, fetes and festivals, Covid-19 has put a stop to that.

I know it’s a lot to ask but if you could afford a small donation I would be really grateful. Diolch yn fawr iawn o flaen llaw am unrhyw gyfraniad, bach neu fawr. :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Done! Very worthy cause, sir. Thanks for asking. Happy birthday! We hope to make it back to your beautiful country in 2021 :heart:

1 Like

Thank you so much Jesse, it means a lot. :grinning:

1 Like

Just added. Thanks for reminding us of all the other important work that needs to continue for the NHS, whilst we are so focussed on Covid.
As for birthdays, now well into retirement I’ve given up counting! :grinning:
Blwyddyn Newydd Dda.

1 Like

Thank you so much Alan, that’s extremely generous of you.

1 Like

Thank you to Jill Walker and Rich for your amazing donations. It’ll make a massive difference. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Happy to support such a good cause. We host a bikers’ meet every year from our village scout hut in aid of this valuable work.
Penblwydd hapus iawn!

1 Like

Thank you Andy, that’s fantastic. Really appreciated. :grinning:

1 Like

Very proud of you for your work with Blood Bikes, Geraint. Having had to be a recipient myself many years ago, I truly appreciate the work you guys do. Diolch o waelod calon - wedi rhoi. X

1 Like

Diolch Catrin. I’ve done a shift this evening taking Covid swabs from Ysbyty Maelor to Ysbyty Glan Clwyd and I’ve got a full day on it again tomorrow. Bitterly cold at the moment but really satisfying work.

All thanks to you and co- workers. Valiant sterling help - everyone who helps fight this awful bug deserves at least a medal. Pity some public cant even be bothered to stay home. If they saw the effects fir real they would be horrified So good to see folk like you. I am CEV thus not allowed to get involved but so grateful to those who contribute to getting those well who are ill and oritecting us who have no inmunity

1 Like

Done and belated penblwydd hapus

1 Like

Another week to go yet Bryn. Thanks for the donation, very kind and appreciated.

A massive thank you everyone who donated to this, the grand total is £775.16 (£928.16 with gift aid) which is incredible. That sort of money makes a huge difference to us, that’s a lot of miles serving the NHS. I’m truly grateful.

6 Likes