Translation of research project title

Hi, I am an anthropologist involved in a bid for funding to do some research in the Dee Estuary which borders Wales and England.

I want to include a Welsh translation of the project title in the research bid. Can anyone help me?

This is the title in English: ‘TechScaping’ the Dee Estuary: Using Data-Ethnography to Investigate Economic Livelihoods in Times of Environmental Change.

And google translate offers the following in Welsh:
‘TechScaping’ Aber yr Afon Ddyfrdwy: Ymchwiliad i mewn i Bywoliaethau Economaidd yng Times o Newid Amgylcheddol

Does this make grammatical sense to a Welsh speaker and would you recommend any changes?

Many thanks for any help,

Hannah

Well your ‘using data-ethnography’ isn’t in there at all. And Times would be something like ‘adagau’ or perhaps ‘cofnodau’.

A good source for academic terminology is the online dictionary at the Coleg Cenedlaethol Cymraeg (http://www.colegcymraeg.ac.uk/cy/adnoddau/termau/). It doesn’t give anything for data ethnography as a concept, but using the terms for the individual words it suggests, I would have thought ‘ethnograffeg ddata’ would be close.

So my attempt at the subtitle would be ‘Defnyddio ethnograffeg ddata er mwyn ymchwilio bywoliaethau economaidd yng nghofnodau newid amgylcheddol’.

But I am no translator, so will be very interested to see what others think!

3 Likes

Yikes!

You could go for:

‘TechScaping’ Aber yr Afon Dyfrdwy: Defnyddio Ethnograffeg-Data Er Mwyn Ymchwilio Bywoliaethau Economaidd Yn Ystod Newid Amgylcheddol.

It makes for a bit of an ear-bleeder in Welsh, but the English isn’t exactly an easy ride either…:wink:

3 Likes

Ooh, your ‘yn ystod’ is far better than my ‘yng nghofnodau’!

Out of interest, does your ‘data’ not mutate because its behaving as a genitive? (Still haven’t quite got my head around that construction…)

2 Likes

Thanks! It’s interesting to see what automated translation engines do and don’t understand. I will definitely be trying to learn at least enough Welsh to be able to recognise when whole phrases are missing! Thanks for the suggestion and also for the link to the Coleg Cenedlaethol Cymraeg dictionary.

Hannah

3 Likes

Yes, sorry it’s a bit impenetrable! I think the ‘economic livelihoods in times of environmental change’ is the most important bit to make sure we get right. The term data-ethnography is not a term that’s even in general use in anthropology!

2 Likes

You’re asking this of someone who doesn’t believe in the existence of grammar?.. :slight_smile:

My best shot: mine doesn’t bother mutating because it often sounds a bit funny to mutate recent loanwords. Alternative: you’re right and I’m wrong… :slight_smile:

The joys of academia…:wink: If you could find a Welsh-speaking data scientist with experience of professional translating, they would probably be able to do a more elegant job - but they’re probably a little thin on the ground, so in the meantime a mashup of Sarah and myself here will certainly make it clear to everyone that you’ve run this past live Welsh-speaking humans…:slight_smile:

3 Likes

My best shot: mine doesn’t bother mutating because it often sounds a bit funny to mutate recent loanwords. Alternative: you’re right and I’m wrong… :slight_smile:

This is, of course, the right answer (both of them!) :slight_smile:

According to the Coleg Cenedlaethol ‘ethnograffeg’ is feminine … but that seems like a pretty arbitrary designation, and I think your ear is more authoritative.

1 Like

Many thanks for both your help,

Hannah

1 Like

Dear @hannahknox, I do realise you came on here for a particular urgent academic reason, but if you want to learn a bit of Welsh so that you can chat to the victims/beneficiaries of the environmental change, this site teaches with a relativel painless method giving much faster results than most courses! I am just a retired Heath Physicist, living in Scotland, and I am not getting commission from @aran!!
ps the Forum is very friendly!

Bruce agrees, and my (wildly unreliable!) ear doesn’t argue with that…:slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you mean data? I believe that cronfa ddata is already pretty well established for database.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s true. Somehow it just didn’t sound right with ethnograffeg, but that might just have been me thinking ethnogbeynunion?.. :slight_smile:

out of interest - why isn’t it data-ethnograffeg

Also came across ethnyddiaeth?

For the same reason, I would say, that it’s tŷ bach and not bach tŷ, Dydd Gŵyl Dewi and not Dewi’s Gŵyl Dydd – Welsh is generally modified-modifier order, the opposite of English.

So this is a kind of ethnograffeg. What kind of ethnograffeg? Why, it’s ethnograffeg-data!

1 Like

Except I viewed it as what type of data - ethnographic data or the concept of applying/utilising ethnographic data? Data science was once called datology, so in English you could have ethnographic datalogy or data ethnography meaning the same sort of thing. I guess it depends on whether it is a fusion of two concepts or one takes precedence over the other?. I am familiar with chemical biology, but if biochemistry didn’t already exist then an equally valid term called biological chemistry, could have been coined with equal validity.

1 Like

Yup, if you chose to think of it as ethnographic data, ‘data ethnograffeg’ would be fine - but since we’re coming from ‘data-ethnography’, we’re thinking of ‘ethnograffeg’ as a noun and structuring accordingly. Confuses it slightly that you’d (probably) have the same word in Welsh for ethnography and ethnographic.

I haven’t come across ethnyddiaeth, although it would make sense.

1 Like

I’ve been a bit geeky and looked up English hyphen rules and the usages and conventions are very varied. Without knowing what Data-ethnography actually means in English then translating it is prone to mistakes - I am guessing that it could be what is termed a hyphenated string, where words are linked together with a hyphen, but the order may be arbitrary initially and then fixed by convention. Im imagining in that case word ordet in Welsh would be based on who ends up creating the Welsh convention and what they choose.

Analogous to ‘tirlunio’ - landscaping, could you use ‘techlunio’ for techscaping perhaps?

1 Like

Talking about loan words, did anyone hear a recent programme on Radio Cymru when the presenter stopped herself in mid-flight after saying “stadiau/stadiums” ?