Transcription project

About a year ago, there was a thread where we tried to collaboratively transcribe a programme from Radio Cymru. I found it really useful and have been meaning to get round to trying it again ever since…

I was listening to a podcast of Beti a’i Phobol a couple of days ago, and although I could get a fair amount of it, I found myself itching to try and transcribe exactly what they were saying! http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b071ch7v
(It is worth downloading the file while it is available, if you would like to take part.)

I just had a go at the very beginning. I don’t know how far I’ll get, as it’s not easy to get time to sit down and work at it, but I’ll try and post progress as it may be interesting for other people too. And it would be brilliant if anyone would like to join in and add the next bit / make corrections.

I’ll post the current state of the transcription in the next post.

3 Likes

Timings refer to the podcast (download) version, not the direct weblink.

0:12
Croeso cynnes iawn at y cwmni. Fe gaeth hi ei geni gyda ‘wheels’ arni, o leia dyna beth dwedodd ei thad.

0:18
Ac os ofynwch iddi am ei diddordebau un ateb gewch chi – trampan – mae’n debyd ei fod yn ei gwaed achos oedd ei thad yn gapten llong.

0:28
Ond un peth arall sy’n ddiddorol iawn amdani: y dynfa 'ma sy ganddi at dde America

0:32
Ond efallai bod eglurhad am hynny. Fe gafodd ei cenhedlu yn y rhan honno o’r byd yn ystod mordaith yr oedd ei mam wedi mynd arni gyda ei gwr y capten

0:40
ac y diweddodd pan ddrychlwyd y llong ar greigiau yn ne Chile.

0:46
Nawr mae mab Wyre yn byw ac yn gweithio fel gohebydd gyda’r BBC yn ne America.

0:51
Wel fe driwn ein gorau i wasgu y holl hanesion difyr sydd ganddi i’w rhannu i fewn yn yr orig bach 'ma sy 'da ni. Croeso cynnes iawn i’r rhaglen, Beti Davies.

1:00
Diolch yn fawr.
Ia Beti, y fordd y chi’n syllafu’r Beti 'na nawr?
B E T I
O wel da iawn, dw i’n falch o glywed hynna!

1:10
Nawr fe gawsoch chi ych geni a ych magu yn Llanrystyd yn Ceredigion, ych tad fel dwedais i yn gapten llong

1:17
Felly oedd e fagwraeth breintiedig?
Wel, fyddwn i ddim yn dweud fyddai’n freintiedig - dim gwahanol i’r plant eraill y plwy.

1:26
O’n i ddim yn sylweddoli pan o’n i’n fach - ond yn edrych yn ol, gyda fy nhad wedi dod i borthladd, oedd rhaid paco’r bag a mynd!

1:39
Oedd mam wastad gyda … bod ni’n clywed bod fy nhad yn rhywle oedd rhaid mynd.

1:43
Oedd e ddim am ddod i Lantrytyd, oeddwch chi’n mynd i gwrdd ac e … ble bynnag oedd e’n glanio, ie?

1:51
Oedd. Ond, oedd e’n adeg rhyfel, 'se falle oedd e ddim yn gallu dod, pan oedd e’n cael siawns oedd e’n dod adref

1 Like

An underrated exercise - da iawn ti! :grinning:

2 Likes

That achos is probably an ac os, but otherwise seems legit! Well, other than “trampan”. I have no idea what that means in any language… but then I don’t know anything about boats, is it some kind of boat terminology? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is from the Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru and seems a reasonable explanation.

3 Likes

OK, I’ve just edited the post to add a bit more, up to the end of the intro. There are three words, currently marked with ??? that I can’t quite get. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks v much, @Kinetic and @Deborah-SSi for ‘ac os’ and ‘trampan’! :sunny:

Great idea, thanks! And you’re way ahead of me in your transcription of the introduction. Now that I see what you’ve written, I can “hear” what Beti is saying :wink:
I might be able to help with the current questions, though. Here are my suggestions:

1. dryllwyd (GPC has drylliaf as to break in pieces, etc.)
  2. mab Wyre (I had just read the name when downloading the segment)
  3. holl hanesion (recollections, stories)
2 Likes

Wow, diolch!! :sunny: That all looks really plausible, but I won’t get round to having another listen until tomorrow lunchtime…

I’ve only added a little bit more - slow going, and not completely sure of all the details! I will probably won’t do any until Monday now. (Of course if anyone else feels like having a shot in the meantime, feel free!)

1;59 Ond o’n i…, y cof sy gan i fywaf yw ohonon ni’n mynd ato fe, achos y bywyd mor wahanol pan och i mynd i dre fel Lerpwl i fywyd yn Llanrhystyd, chymod

2:11 Achos och chi mynd i cwrdd ag e (fan ni?)

Fiendishly difficult!

2 Likes

Diolch!! I’ll listen in detail tomorrow.

Hmm, I think I may have petered out there because it was getting hard! Maybe it would be better to choose something a bit less cryptic and more relevant next time - sorry that one was a bit random!

1 Like