Too much practice?

Just having a look at Level 1, Challenge 15 and he (sorry - don’t the name. Aran? Lestyn?) talks about looking at the recommendations for doing too much practice. Had a little rummage but can’t find this - can anyone help?

It’ll be me if you’re doing the northern version, or Iestyn (not Lestyn!) if you’re doing the southern…:slight_smile:

Hmmm… for doing too much practice? Doesn’t ring an immediate bell… I usually warn people away from doing too much practice… could you give me a little more context, see if we can work a way past my memory issues?..:wink:

1 Like

Right - I’m doing the South and this is right at the start of Level 1, Challenge 15. lestyn says…‘you’ll find it bedding down and gettng easier and easier, particularly if you listen to our recommendations about how to avoid doing too much practice.’ I was just curious as to what he was referring to. I know there are some lesson guides flying about, but I can’t find this particular piece of advice.
…and why is not Lestyn? :confused:

Because the first letter is an capital i not an L (pronounced Yestin).

3 Likes

The joys of sans serif fonts ;).

5 Likes

I think Iestyn is just referring to the oft-repeated guideline that you should be moving on to the next challenge if you get about 80% of the phrases out before the answer is given. (And not moving on would then be over-practicing.)

1 Like

Ah, right - yes, I think Hendrik is on the money here - this is a reference to how often we go on about not doing too much practice…:slight_smile:

Oh duh! Clunk as the penny drops! :sunglasses: (Referring to Lestyn v. Iestyn!)

3 Likes

Gotcha - very helpful guys - diolch yn fawr iawn. Thought it might be that - but didn’t want to miss any little gems. Well, this might be an opportune moment to thank the powers that be for the course - full stop. It is genius. Forum is super helpful and here I am, three months in and hanging on in there.
Can I just ask - is it me?..but I find the hardest thing in the learning process is to understand people when they speak to me. I throw Welsh at people at every opportunity, but when they reply…I just shrivel. I watch TV, I speak, I read…but when I get blasted with replies from Welsh speakers…my brain freezes. Is this normal? Do others find this element of learning the trickiest?

1 Like

Yes. Yes. Yes.

3 Likes

Yes, this is normal. Later listening practice recordings are recorded at double speed - this will help.

1 Like

To put this into some context, what you’re achieving when you understand a new language is at least as complex as what the code-breakers at Bletchley Park were doing (full languages being more complex than codes, although you’re not operating in the dark quite as much as they were) - but you need to operate in real time (rather than a matter of hours) and you have a team of one (instead of dozens).

So yes, it’s a heck of a tough thing to do, and it takes time - but our accelerated listening exercises will, over time, help… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks again for helpful comments. I’m sure I find it hard because the people who speak to me don’t know what I know…so they chuck in words that are unfamiliar to me…but as you say, practice and patience. But - oh what fun! :fearful:

3 Likes

And if you’re a typical SSIW learner you almost certainly sound LESS like a learner than most learners so don’t trigger people’s “talk slow and in simple words to learners” awareness as much!

It’s one of those particularly SSIWish goodthingreallybutEEEP items!

3 Likes

Ah, well that’s a nice way of looking at it. And here’s something else that’s interesting. I have a ‘really Welsh’ neighbour and I practice little phrases and whatnot to hurl at her if I see her. But…when I do meet her and try to rattle off these little rehearsed items - I get lost and tongue-tied. But…if I bump into her without warning, I find it much easier to talk to her without rehearsal - it just sort of happens - it’s not totally right, but having to pull something out of nowhere feels easier than trying to repeat the little script that I’ve learned. Does that sound crazy? (I’ve still no clue what she’s saying back to me - but, hey - you gotta start somewhere!)

1 Like

No doesn’t sound crazy at all. I find the same thing happening to me. I think over-thinking can be a real problem if you have too much time to prepare. Whereas it’s surprising what’s hanging around in your brain ready to be spoken when things are more spontaneous (if you see what I mean).

Keep at it (something I have to remind myself often).

Hwyl

Kim

1 Like

You’ve done really well so far and are following the exact same pattern that 99% of SSiWers have done, listening and understanding natural spoken Welsh always comes last but believe what everyone here has said, they know what they are on about. :blush:

If you have a first language Welsh speaker as a neighbour you have an amazing opportunity at your fingertips. Have a chat with her and explain your situation and beg her for a little regular scheduled time, e.g. cup of tea once a week at your kitchen table (make sure you provide a nice slice of her favourite cake as an enticement), to have a relaxed chat. As long as she knows you are after a chat and not a lesson I can’t see what could possibly go wrong. :blush: :cake:

3 Likes

Oh believe me - she’s gold dust and I grab her every chance I get. She’s very busy so our sessions are as and when…although I make sure I hang my washing out at the same as she does - another little chance! But when we have tea and five minutes we chat - plus…I read to her in Welsh and she corrects my pronounciation.
A fantastic opportunity …:sunglasses:

9 Likes