To use oedd or roedd in affirmative imperfect

A native Welsh speaker ( Swansea ) gets confused when I use oedd rather than roedd - if I use oedd she thinks I am asking a question ? The OUP wonderful Modern Welsh Dictionary does say that (colloquial) affirmative and interrogative o’n i , o’t ti, oedd e/hi … is used . But SSIW does not teach the r forms - for present or imperfect - should I be learning these r forms ?
John

1 Like

Doesn’t she hear the different intonation?

The affirmative forms without r- are widespread in speech everywhere, as that wonderful dictionary does indeed say. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Probably doesn’t hear the different intonation - but that is probably down to me not making it properly. Anyway in the experience of an adult growing up in Wales ( Swansea area ) - saying that the roedd is what is used in their experience surely carries weight. I really think that I should grasp the nettle and learn the r forms if that makes it easier for people to understand me when speaking Welsh. From the tone of your response , it sounds as though you are an expert - where in particular in Wales is the colloquial form used mostly ? Have you been a native Welsh speaker since childhood or are you an advanced learner ? Anyway thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,
John

You might want to check who put that dictionary together John :wink:

2 Likes

Oops - sorry Gareth - did not realise you edited the dictionary. Do find it really helpful.

John

1 Like

Dear Gareth,

Sorry - did not realise until told you were the editor of the OUP dictionary. Thanks for your answer - will work things out from that and with the person I am conversing with. It will probably help if I encompass the r forms so I can recognise them and in addition drop the r in conversation when it occurs naturally with whoever I am talking to .
Best Regards,
John

1 Like

Yes John - recognition purposes is fine. :+1: