To eat

In the challenges ‘to eat’ always seems to sounds like ‘bitta’. Is this some kind of South Wales thing? I was always taught bwyta and I’ve never heard ‘bitta’ anywhere apart from here.

That’s the word. Bwyta…

I hear bwyta pronounced bitta up here in the North too. There are some dialects that pronounce bwyta as it’s spelt and some that pronounce it like bitta - just use whichever you feel comfortable with.

2 Likes

But it always seems to pronounced like ‘boyta’ everywhere else which made me think it might be something different.

Apologies, that was a reply before Siaron posted. Must have hit send at about the same time.

1 Like

bitta / bweeta / boyta. Just as in most other languages including English, pronunciation varies considerably as you move around. *(Try ordering du peng, du veng and du Bourseng in Paris (pain/vin/Boursin) :slight_smile: ) *
My wife and I can’t even agree on the pronunciation of “bus”, “grass” or “bath” in English :laughing:

It’s “bitta” in the parts of Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire I’m familiar with.

4 Likes

Hmm, I supposed you do hear a bus called a buzz in Birmingham for example.

2 Likes

Ah yes. We were asked to take part in another survey at Ty Tawe last Saturday. This time it was about Cymraeg and health (I think). I say that because I was getting life and food mixed up :grin:

Up north you’ll hear boo-ee-ta/but-ta/bit-ta and a version with emphasis on the first vowel sound which sounds like the Welsh ‘u’ - buta. :blush:

3 Likes

Oh gosh, I have that problem too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Keep meaning to ask about variations on “hwyl”. On Rownd a Rownd, I hear it as “hoo-eel”, but in southern speakers and more generally, it’s more like “hoyl”.

1 Like