Tips on learning vocab?

I have a friend who IS a doctor, a GP. When he was more junior, taking exams all the time, he was obliged, just once, to employ a medical secretary to type up his exam script because no-one could read it. Of course, when not in the exam situation he could see all the mistakes he had made, but his hand writing wasn’t so bad that he could substitute whole paragraphs with correct answers. His writing did get better over the years and I’ve since had the pleasure of being able to read his referrals without a problem.

A bit hard to buy now though I think. I wish I’d bought it when it was first recommended on this forum a while back.

I think one of the advantages of writing things by hand is that it slows down the process, and probably, as you say, calms one down.

This book is on my wish list. There is an English version too, isn’t there? I’m not sure if it’s a direct word for word translation though. (Would be handy if it were).

I have mentioned this before a few times, and it won’t appeal to everyone, but it might appeal to anyone who doesn’t mind (or actually likes) writing things down by hand. It’s something called the Goldlist Method, by someone called David James (he also goes by the name of Huliganov) on the web and Youtube. In a way, it’s the same as what you (and many of us) already do: i.e. write down new words in a notebook.

What he adds to it is a system, which aims to use spaced repetition (like with Anki and similar tools), but in a way that minimises the number of repetitions, so that you aren’t repeating words you already know. He is an accountant by profession and says he based his method on some ideas he learned in accounting, plus the research of Ebbinghaus (“forgetting curve” etc). (I’m not sure how closely it really does reflect the work of Ebbinghaus, but maybe it works anyway, at least for some people).

Here is one of his articles about it:

There are several other articles about it on the same site, if you look around, and also some youtube videos.

This is David James (as himself) lecturing on it to some students in Moscow:

However, he also has done some videos on it in his “Huliganov” persona, i.e. in a thick Russian accent… (some might say that he’s a bit eccentric…:slight_smile: ). (He speaks Russian, Polish and several other languages, and also teaches a Russian course on Youtube).

Here he is as Huliganov:

Well, if you want to try it, all it will cost you is the price of a large (at least A4, hardbacked ruled notebook (or notebooks if you keep on with it), and some time and patience. He recommends expensive notebooks like Moleskin, but I just use whatever I can find at a reasonable price. His reasoning is that if you use a good quality notebook, you will take more pride in the work, and write more legibly and carefully (which will probably slow you down a little, and this is probably beneficial in itself).

The nice thing about this system is that you are in complete control and are not being bossed around or held as a slave to some computer algorithm (like with Anki). But I recommend that you read his own words on the subject, rather than just mine, as I am sure I have not done it justice.

I agree with you cant y cant, Stella :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well it’s not word-for-word, of course - but it IS an excellent translation, because he did it himself!

2 Likes

It did take a bit of time to find a shop with a copy in stock but, just at the end of November, I got a copy of ‘Roots and Branches’ from Siop Cwlwm,

Raymond

There appear to be some available on Amazon, but they are pretty pricy (I suppose because they are now fairly rare?):

1 Like

Rather belated response to say thank you very much indeed for this - I think this looks to be just the job. I like that he’s emphasising the ‘unconscious’ aspect of learning, which fits in very well with the SSiW approach. I have a good collection of random vocabulary to get me started (and collecting more all the time with my reading), so all I need now is a nice notebook…

Mine is hardback and cost less than a third of this price from siopcwlwm in Oswestry. Their website, though, seems not to be updated during the holiday period.

Raymond

I am feeling a bit guilty. I saw the postings about this book and looked in Amazon. There was one paperback in my price range, and I had two vouchers (Christmas gifts), so I ordered the book. It has come. It is in beautiful condition. It clearly didn’t earn Gareth any royalties, being second hand, and it is clearly stamped in the front and at the back “COLEG GWENT”. I hope no student nicked it and then sold it!! I hope Newport Council are not so cash strapped that they are selling off books useful to students!! Has anyone else had an experience like this?

This is on the 'siopcwlwm' Website:

Welsh Roots and Branches/Gwreiddiadur Cymreig
                     £15.00 GBP was £18.00 GBP                                 

A new paper-back edition of this acclaimed volume which
provides an innovative approach to the problem of acquiring an easily
assimilated Welsh vocabulary through the root structure of the language.
Set out logically in alphabetical order. (Hardback edition, ISBN
9780952417606, available at discounted price.)
ISBN: 9780952417613
Publication Date December 2005
Publisher: Tre Graig Press, Bwlch
Format: Paperback, 250x172 mm, 388 pages
Language: Bilingual (Welsh and English)

Raymond

I bought myself a nice notebook just before Christmas, and I love making lists, so I decided to use it to try out the Goldlist method. I have done half a dozen lists so far, starting on 1st January. I’m really excited, because tomorrow I can look at the first list again! Little things…

2 Likes

Thanks, Helen - you’ve just reminded me that I started mine on NYE … so I can start with the next level again today! (I probably won’t, though - don’t think I’m going to have time.)

1 Like