Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

I agree with Deborah - I can’t see any reason why both would be there.

3 Likes

Since I still can’t read anything beyond the simplest learner books, I haven’t bought Yr Hobyd yet. I know I could just slog through now with a dictionary and the English copy, and probably learn a fair bit that way, but I’d rather wait until I can really just enjoy reading, turning to the dictionary and original maybe once or twice per paragraph instead of needing them to make heads or tails of every sentence.
When people found errors in the Coelbren y Beirdd, they told the publisher, and it was reported that the very next printing had it corrected. I’m hoping if they continue to do that kind of prompt adjustment, by the time I get a copy it will have fewer errors than a “more valuable” earlier printing. While jumping in and getting one of the very first copies would have been cool, I buy books to read them, and errors bug me.
So I hope you and others continue to give feedback! And maybe one day you can sell your early copies for vast sums to collectors who will enthuse over every typo. (Or you yourselves can hoard them and gloat over the low price you paid, if you are collectors.)

1 Like

Hi all,

I am currently on Challenge 16 and have been taught that I enjoyed it is “joies i fe”, I’m happy enough with this. Can I say “joies i e”? I recognise that “fe” in speech is more natural, I’m just looking to ensure that “e” can be used. I assume so like in the passed but want to make sure that I havn’t suddenly changed the meaning of the statement in some small way.

Many thanks,

Gethyn

Nope, you’re fine with e or fe (and if you come across Northern speakers, you’ll hear o and fo, and the same thing applies).

2 Likes

Hello

I started a few days ago and am slightly lost! I’m trying to understand the difference between the Challenges and AutoMagic. I main one seems to be that the latter has written text whereas the former is purely audio. Is this correct or have I misunderstood something?

Also, with AutoMagic is there a way of navigating? I’ve tried skipping back occasionally (mainly when I can’t hear the audio because my dogs explode) but the ‘back’ button seems to jump a long way back and I can’t see where.

Any help much appreciated.

Diolch.

Stephen

yes, that’s right Stephen. The original course is audio only - it forces your brain to absorb the information in a different way which is conducive to language learning. The Automagic is a later approach which includes text because some people struggle with the audio-only approach. However, the actual material is the same, just presented slightly differently.

I’m afraid I can’t help with navigating Automagic, as I’ve not used it myself, but I’m sure others who have will soon jump in to help you with that.

2 Likes

Basically, it gives you more practice of previously presented material, so it doesn’t repeat exactly what you’ve recently had, but gives you more similar examples to what you were given before.

2 Likes

Many thanks for the quick reply Siaron. Much appreciated and makes perfect sense.

I might try audio-only - several hours in and still having to remind myself that ‘sut’ is not pronounced ‘soot’…

1 Like

That’s exactly why putting the text in was initially avoided, because generally our eyes are dominant over our ears and so the eyes will con us into pronouncing how we think the word should sound and override our ears, whereas if we learn the sound first through our ears, our eyes will catch up with the spellings later!

1 Like

Ah, I understand. I was thinking of it as just a linear recording. Many thanks!

I couldn’t agree more. My initial impression (just four hours in) is that the approach is very similar to the Michel Thomas courses which are entirely audio-based, I’m sure for the same reason. Enjoying it very much, anyway.

1 Like

Until I came across the SSi method I was convinced I was a “visual learner” and I absolutely HAD to see the written words to remember them. I am now the complete opposite. I’ve been doing some testing of what we hope will be an Irish course in the future, and the only way I can do it is with my eyes shut to avoid seeing the text. Otherwise, my brain gets distracted by “How on earth do the sounds I’m hearing match those letters?!?” so I shut my eyes and concentrate on imitating the sounds I’m hearing, and the repetition is sufficient for me to remember it.
It’s definitely a bonus to your pronunciation if you can avoid looking at the text, for a little while at least.

3 Likes

I couldn’t agree more, I’ve switched to the Challenge approach this morning and that suits me much better. Very much a case of personal preference but both are wonderful resources. Thanks very much for your advice, it’s really appreciated.

3 Likes

I’ve just learnt that a purring cat is actually singing in Welsh (gotta love your clichés :heart_eyes_cat: )… However, I couldn’t really find what the second word in the expression “canu grwndi” means? Any ideas?

1 Like

grwndi comes from grŵn which means groan/drone/hum

3 Likes

Does anyone know what the best way of saying “via” is in Welsh (in the sense of “I’m going to Bangor via Conwy)? I can’t seem to find anything in a dictionary.

You can use trwy or drwy for via - both equally acceptable.
“Dwi’n mynd i Fangor trwy Gonwy / Dwi’n mynd i Fangor drwy Gonwy”

2 Likes

Diolch - that seems obvious now it’s been suggested!

1 Like

I understand that Bant is a synonym. So would the following phrase be correct in comparison to what i believe to be a South Saying.

Off/Away we go!
Bant â ni!
I ffwrdd â ni!

1 Like

Yes, absolutely - bant â ni = i ffwrdd â ni

3 Likes