Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

In fact I’ll post a preview of the whole running order - just for all my pals on here - over in the other thread.

6 Likes

Many thanks for the sneak preview… and for the explanation. Ardderchog… I shall update my Anki deck at once :innocent:

1 Like

Umm … WHICH other thread?

This one - Llyfr newydd - #13 by garethrking

2 Likes

Hi, could I just check the meaning of a phrase, please?

Ac mi allai o wadu du yn las pe bai raid.

(Gwanas, Bethan. Gwrach y Gwyllt (Welsh Edition) . Gwasg Gomer. Kindle Edition. )

It seems from the context that pe bai raid means something like “if needs be / should he need to”. Is that right?

Thanks!

2 Likes

My house in Ceredigion is called “Nyth y Kiwi” so that’s a start :laughing:

2 Likes

I definitely heard first language speakers in Llandysul saying “iwso”. I couldn’t quite bring myself to abandon “defnyddio” but I felt slightly uncomfortable, as if I was “correcting” their Welsh in some way, which I would never want to do! If I’d kept living there much longer, I’m sure “iwso” would have become natural.

2 Likes

Yes - literally “if there is a must”

1 Like

Thanks, Deborah!

1 Like

Shwmae bawb,

Would somebody mind checking the following for me, was doing some translating in my head while listening to the radio and these ones are a bit tricky so would appreciate the help:

Sometimes, you need to tell yourself that you’re the smartest man who’s ever lived
Weithiau mae eisiau i ti ddweud wrth dy hunan taw y dyn mwya deallus sy erioed byw wyt ti

He was supposed to be their best player
Eu chwaraewr gorau nhw oedd e i fod

Diolch yn fawr!

I would say

Weithiau mae eisiau i ti ddweud wrth dy hunan taw ti yw’r dyn mwya deallus sy erioed wedi byw

And the second one sounds fine to me - just eu instead of ei at the beginning

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick reply :)!

Ah I meant eu but for some reason typed ei, typing too fast again haha.

1 Like

Please mind my sticking my nose in … would/should this become “wrthot ti dy hun(an)”?

Good question! They both sound OK to me, (hunan in the south, hun in the north), but I’ll have to think about that …

1 Like

That’s why I used the brackets, I know both are used but … I was asking about the “wrthot ti” instead of just “wrth”. It just seems like it should be there.

Sorry yes, I was just confirming the hunan/hun and it’s the wrthot ti bit I’m thinking about. It seems to me that it’s more correct as wrthot ti dy hunan but running it round in my head, I feel like I’ve heard it as just wrth dy hunan but I’m starting to wonder if that’s really what people say or not.

2 Likes

Diolch Deborah, now it’s all I’m going to think about for the rest of today. :rofl::wink:

1 Like

A fi! :joy:

Hi,

Old Course level 3, L23, introduces the first person plural of medru as fedran ni - and definitely not fedrwn ni, which is what I was expecting (and what’s in the grammar books, more importantly :grinning:). (Just to be clear, this isn’t one of those occasions when the pronunciation is a bit blurred and could be either – the -an is very clear, and it’s spelled this way in the vocab.)

The course consistently uses ‘-wn ni’ for other verbs (welwn ni, dudwn ni etc), so is -an ni a common variation of -wn ni, or is this just for medru?

Thanks!

You said “third person singular” but then talked about “fedrwn ni”, but “ni” is first person plural.

Did you mean “third person plural”? Third person plural is “fedran nhw” (they can). Did you mis-hear the “nhw” as “ni”?

2 Likes