Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

If you wanted to say the equivalent of Bless you if someone sneezes what would you say please?

Usually “Bendith”, but you might also hear “Bendith y Tad” or "Bendith y mamau.

2 Likes

Diolch Siaron

1 Like

“I was wondering how to say ‘free time.”

I usually say “amser sbar”

1 Like

yes sounds good for spare. Rhydd is free. Bant is away(from duties) “off” is Wenglish :smiley:

1 Like

Just in case anyone else was wondering about my question about “day off” above, I’ve just found a previous post from no less than Aran himself who goes for “diwrnod i ffwrdd” so I think that probably settles it! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Could anyone please decypher the ai and the chi in the sentence 'Ai eich plant chi ydi rheina?

1 Like

Hi Janice.
This used to get me as well.
Literally:
? Your children you are those.

Ai is a question mark “tag” when the next word isn’t a verb.
Eich plant chi: Your children . The chi is an optional echo that happens in Welsh. In this case for the plural or polite version of you. So for the single you it will be dy plant di. You can include the eich and the chi or just one of them, as you please, or according to local dialect.
Ydy = are
rheina = those.

The problem is that there isn’t a direct way of translating “belonging/your’s” type sentences. So this is one of the nice ways of doing it.

1 Like

Thanks very much, John. This phased me at first, but am now more fluent, and your explanation has really helped.
Janice

1 Like

Damsons were originally introduced from the Middle East, the name derives from ‘damascene’, Damascus.
They have naturalised, and are definitely yummy :yum:

I know that I’ve asked variations of this question before but some things just don’t stick (and I can’t seem to find previous answers any more).

If I refer to something I see on a screen or hear on the radio, in a recording, or someone speaking right in that moment, do I have to say fel hynny/'ny or fel hwnnw/honno?

And does fel 'na works for both abstract and concrete (and tar and bricks…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) things?

ma or na… I’m struggling to know, is it to do with genders of words (I’m only in the 'teens of Level 1!) but I wasn’t picking up a pattern when referring to ‘this book’ or ‘this film’ i.e. yr llyfr na/ma?

Thanks!

In this context, 'ma (from yma) means ‘this’, and 'na (from yna) means ‘that’, and they can both be used with any gender.
Y llyfr 'ma - this book
Y llyfr 'na- that book
Y ffilm 'ma - this film
Y ffilm 'na - that film

This is my first time trying to post something on the forum. Please be gentle with me!
How do you use the word “eira”? For instance - it’s very cold, I hope it is not going to snow"
BTW my aunty was called Eira. As a name does it simply mean “snow”?

1 Like

Welcome Gavin!
Yes, eira = snow, as a name and as the white stuff!
In Welsh, when we want to say to snow or snowing, we put the verb bwrw with it, so your example would be
Mae’n oer iawn, gobeithio dydy hi ddim yn mynd i bwrw eira
or, in the South
Mae’n oer iawn, gobeithio dyw hi ddim yn mynd i bwrw eira

The new course teaches us draw/lan/llawr fan’cw for over/up/down there - are there any other words that can be coupled to fan’cw? I caught myself using ‘mas fancw’ this morning, which I suspect isn’t right, hence the question.
Is there a distinctively southern form of ‘out there’?

mas fanco/fancw is fine for a southern ‘out there’ :slight_smile:

Dioch yn fawr iawn Siaron. I am greatly encouraged by that.

Next awkward question… does the idiom “a run of” - as in a run of wins/defeats/night shifts or whatever, have an equivalent in Cymraeg? Does it use “rhedeg” or is there another word?

You could use rhediad (the noun version of the verb rhedeg), but there are other ways too.
A run of wins / defeats / night-shifts - rhediad o fuddugoliaethau / orchfygiad / sifftiau nos
but then there’s things like
A run of luck - cyfnod lwcus
A run of five - cyfres o bump

2 Likes

I’m on challenge 24 level 1. It’s really got me confused. Can anyone tell me, why Ges ti, in previous challenges means did you have? eg ges ti Amser da, but now in this challenge ges ti means you had?? Is it used for both? Many thanks in advance.