Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

I can’t guess the connection with Sherlock Holmes.:thinking:
But thanks to this, I’ve discovered a very 70’s flavoured song I had never heard, called “Nos Ddu” :laughing::

2 Likes

“I ffwrdd â nhw nhw"

Poetic licence? Also with the first “I”

Just guessing; Possibly leads better into “gwerth…” than nad, nag or nac.

Anyway - It turns out that “ado” is a 14th c contraction of “at do”, which meant “to do” and became a noun.

How about this - I often drive past Baskerville Hall
http://www.baskervillehall.co.uk/wordpress/?page_id=9

Heather Jones and Mary Hopkins…have some great melodious songs from that period (youtube has a good amount)

@gisella-albertini @brynle “Welsh Rare Beat” is a great introduction to music from that period, and fy hoff CD! :slight_smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oY_-bTQj_I

2 Likes

Thanks, I’m going to listen to it!

However in the meantime, I’ve also found this photo.
meic-stevens-nos-du-nos-da-1982-sain-lp-m-w-insert-uk-acid-folk-welsh-dylan_6104807

Nos du! :laughing:

While we’re on the subject of multi-artist CDs and Meic Stevens… this CD is covers of some of Meic’s songs with various bands putting their own style onto them -
https://sainwales.com/store/sain/crai-cd092

2 Likes

While I don’t own the CD, I have access to it via my music subscription service. I am quite fond of Celt’s rendition of Daeth neb yn ol and Gwenno’s Trwyeryn :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Gan vs gyda. The SSiW southern course teaches “mae gyda fy” for “I’ve got”. This is confusing me because it also teaches us to use “I’ve got to do” using “Mae rhaid i fy” . In English the word “got” in the first example is superfluous. I have = I’ve got. So are gan and gyda interchangeable? Can I say “mae gyda fy ffrind” and “mae gen i ffrind” without committing a grammatical faux pas?

Yes, they are interchangeable in meaning. You’ll hear the gen i construction more in the North, and gyda in the South, but both are correct Welsh.

1 Like

Yes - gen i tends to be more Northern, gyda fi more Southern, both are correct & will be understood. If you understand both, & say what you hear others say, you’ll be fine.

1 Like

It’s not really helpful to think of either of the examples you’ve posted as being direct translations, particularly for the word “got”. “Mae gyda fi…” is literally “There is with me…” (which is how you show possession in Welsh, “I have a dog” -> “There is a dog with me”); and “Mae rhaid i fi…” is more akin to “There is a necessity for me…”.

What I’m driving at, really, is that neither sentence actually contains a direct translation for the word “got” and it can be better not to think of Welsh sentences as direct translations of English.

3 Likes

Thanks Stephen, that snippet is very helpful.

Thank you that is exactly what I need.

1 Like

So you can say gwybod/nabod to say that you know? I’ve been using gwybod because I’d forgotten about nabod. Does it matter which one you use?

1 Like

I know that nabod is for people, when you know someone.

2 Likes

Thanks I did wonder.

1 Like

In the case of SSiW especially relatives and co-workers in the tafarn. :wink: :laughing:

3 Likes

Yeah I’ve just come across that again level 2 challenge 10 and it made me ask the question :rofl:

3 Likes