Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Diolch yn fawr.

I know that cynnau is also used to mean ‘light a fire’

You’ll also hear troi ymlaen / troi i ffwrdd.

1 Like

Is the difference between rhagor and mwy that although they both mean ‘more’ - rhagor only comes at the end of the sentence - AND also Rhagor can be used to mean “anymore” aswell
Dydy o ddim yn byw yma (‘unrhyw’) rhagor

Or is it much more nuanced?

Based on what I’m seeing in my dictionary, both rhagor and mwy can be placed within a sentence or at the end. Both can be used as quantity expressions with “o” - for example mwy o goffi or rhagor o goffi.

It looks, to me like the basic difference is that rhagor is almost always a quantity expression - such as “more coffee” or “more donuts” - while mwy has more varied meanings of “more.” Mwy can be used instead of the “-ach” ending to make a comparative - such as “more confident” or “more beautiful.” It can also be used as an adjective to mean “bigger” - as in “a bigger room” - stafell fwy.

The dictionary also comments that rhagor has the connotation of “extra” or “in addition.”

6 Likes

Yes, all that is broadly true and you have summed it up well, sionned. The distinction is a bit fuzzier from time to time, however, because you DO sometimes hear rhagor in non-quantity senses, particularly in the sense of ‘any more’ - dan ni ddim yn eu gweld nhw rhagor ‘we don’t see them any more’.

5 Likes

i have just spent all afternoon making Damson jam - but what would that be in Welsh ?

i have just spent all afternoon making Damson jam - but what would that be in Welsh ?

Blasus? :wink:

11 Likes

Indeed yum! My dictionary says that damsons are eirin duon and that jam is cyffaith (or jam) so probably something like cyffaith eirin duon?

3 Likes

Thanks. I had found the damsons but only came up with Jam online instead of cyffaith. It does have a lovely taste but I forget from year to year the difficulty of dealing with all those stones!

1 Like

I’d expect to hear ‘jam eirin duon’ - can’t remember off-hand the last time I heard someone say cyffaith…

I love damsons, but those stones… Almost broke my hand blender making damson ice cream last year and missing a stone!

Now I’ll have to search the net to cope with what you’re talking about at all. “Stones???” Hmmm … this sounds interesting …

1 Like

Damsons are a bit like a small tart plum, dark in colour and so delicious! I feel like they’re quite a British fruit but not sure why. They grow on trees in hedgerows in parts of the country :smile: I still have a bottle of homemade damson gin leftover from last Christmas :wine_glass:

2 Likes

@tatjana
Damsons are, I think, indigenous to Britain. Certainly they grow wild. They were wonderful during the war as a treat!! But they definitely need to be sweetened by cooking before eating!!

2 Likes

It’s the seed. Also called a pit.

1 Like

Ah thank you for clearig unknown horizons for me.

1 Like

Hopefully this is a tiny question with a quick answer and not a can of worms. I have to go to work tomorrow: Mae’n rhaid i fi fynd i’r swyddfa yfory. How do I form the negative, as in “I don’t have to go to work tomorrow”?

1 Like

I do the Northern course and I’d say:
Does dim rhaid i mi fynd i’r swyddfa yfory.

3 Likes

Doing south I’d probably switch from mi to fi all the rest all the same. (To be honest, I didn’t dare to post first because I’m the least relevant here to teach anybody anything Cymraeg related (if it isn’t really easy stuff).) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I am doing south, so “fi” sounds more familiar than “mi”. “Does dim” is the piece I was missing. Diolch, Brigitte a Tatjana!

2 Likes