Tiny questions with quick answers - continuing thread

Quite.

1 Like

It’s the Working Welsh, Ruth. :slight_smile:

I’m not a very good photographer.

Unfortunately eitha appears to have slipped through the net in the Grammar - it should be at para 425 under Adverbs of degree, but somehow dodged me! So thank you for drawing my attention to that, and I will rectify the omission in the next edition, whenever that comes along.

The various meanings of quite are also dealt with in the new book, just finished. Here’s a sneak preview…

6 Likes

In fact I’ll post a preview of the whole running order - just for all my pals on here - over in the other thread.

6 Likes

Many thanks for the sneak preview… and for the explanation. Ardderchog… I shall update my Anki deck at once :innocent:

1 Like

Umm … WHICH other thread?

This one - Llyfr newydd - #13 by garethrking

2 Likes

Hi, could I just check the meaning of a phrase, please?

Ac mi allai o wadu du yn las pe bai raid.

(Gwanas, Bethan. Gwrach y Gwyllt (Welsh Edition) . Gwasg Gomer. Kindle Edition. )

It seems from the context that pe bai raid means something like “if needs be / should he need to”. Is that right?

Thanks!

2 Likes

My house in Ceredigion is called “Nyth y Kiwi” so that’s a start :laughing:

2 Likes

I definitely heard first language speakers in Llandysul saying “iwso”. I couldn’t quite bring myself to abandon “defnyddio” but I felt slightly uncomfortable, as if I was “correcting” their Welsh in some way, which I would never want to do! If I’d kept living there much longer, I’m sure “iwso” would have become natural.

2 Likes

Yes - literally “if there is a must”

1 Like

Thanks, Deborah!

1 Like

Shwmae bawb,

Would somebody mind checking the following for me, was doing some translating in my head while listening to the radio and these ones are a bit tricky so would appreciate the help:

Sometimes, you need to tell yourself that you’re the smartest man who’s ever lived
Weithiau mae eisiau i ti ddweud wrth dy hunan taw y dyn mwya deallus sy erioed byw wyt ti

He was supposed to be their best player
Eu chwaraewr gorau nhw oedd e i fod

Diolch yn fawr!

I would say

Weithiau mae eisiau i ti ddweud wrth dy hunan taw ti yw’r dyn mwya deallus sy erioed wedi byw

And the second one sounds fine to me - just eu instead of ei at the beginning

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick reply :)!

Ah I meant eu but for some reason typed ei, typing too fast again haha.

1 Like

Please mind my sticking my nose in … would/should this become “wrthot ti dy hun(an)”?

Good question! They both sound OK to me, (hunan in the south, hun in the north), but I’ll have to think about that …

1 Like

That’s why I used the brackets, I know both are used but … I was asking about the “wrthot ti” instead of just “wrth”. It just seems like it should be there.

Sorry yes, I was just confirming the hunan/hun and it’s the wrthot ti bit I’m thinking about. It seems to me that it’s more correct as wrthot ti dy hunan but running it round in my head, I feel like I’ve heard it as just wrth dy hunan but I’m starting to wonder if that’s really what people say or not.

2 Likes

Diolch Deborah, now it’s all I’m going to think about for the rest of today. :rofl::wink:

1 Like

A fi! :joy: