The verb "to pour" in Gwynedd Area

S’mae Pawb?

I would like to know which verb out of tollti, tywallt amd arllwys is generally used in the Gwynedd / Pen Llyn region for things like “to pour a cuppa / glass of wine”. What about “to pour with rain”, would that be different? Many thanks in advance for any assistance with this, as its for a little project of mine…



1 Like

Possibly: Mae hi’n treisio bwrw glaw/its pouring with rain.
Tywallt panad - pour a cuppa. I think you’ll hear - "Ti isio panad?..dwi’n pouring :wink:

I’d say…

tollti panad/te/gwin/diod - this is also used for ‘spill’

mae hi’n tywallt y glaw

You’ll rarely hear ‘arllwys’ as it’s considered more formal in this area.

Hope this helps. X


Cegin Bryn used tollti all the time on his program.

Interesting that you use it for ‘spill’ too @CatrinLliarJones, up till now I’ve been using ‘gollwng’ for drop, spill and leak.


Diolch yn fawr pawb!



You can absolutely say ‘Dw i wedi gollwng y cwrw ar ben y ci’ and would be understood, so you haven’t been doing anything wrong. Though I would say that the above phrase may conjure up an image of a beer can or bottle being dropped on the dog. ‘tollti’ refers to anything in liquid form. So if you said ‘Dw i wedi tollti y cwrw ar y ci’ then it would be clear that only the beer was spilt on the dog. Add to that phrase ‘o diar’ or just a simple ‘wps’ then it will be understood that the ‘tollti’ wasn’t deliberate. Hope this helps gyfaill. X


Perffaith, diolch. :wink:

I like the expression used when it is pouring with rain, in Lloegr ‘cats and dogs’ but in N Wales ‘mae’n bwrw hen wragedd a ffyn’ (old women and broomsticks!)
Nefyn Pughe


Welsh, like English and other languages, has lots of wonderful idioms :smile:


That’s my favourite idiom too, Nefyn. Someone on my knitting forum suggested that it would be a great name for a yarn shop.