The Secret Life of Books: The Mabinogion (BBC4)

“Welsh singer/songwriter Cerys Matthews delves into the history of Celtic mythology and the Arthurian romantic legends that make up The Mabinogion.”

http://www.open.edu/openlearn/whats-on/tv/the-secret-life-books-the-mabinogion

Thanks for that information. Should be on soon. Series starts 2 Sept with Great Expectations, continues 9 Sept with Shakespeare’s First Folio. No date for Mabinogion yet, as far as I can see.

‘no date yat’…just as it should be, the stories are timeless…Is there anywhere an iiustrated version of ‘The Oldest Animals’ as a stand-alone? Whatever language.

Ooops ignore the above…‘No date yet’…as it should be, the stories are timeless. Anyone heard of an illustrated version of ‘The Oldest Animal’ section as a stand-alone publication? The Owl which features is a recurring creature in our literature down the ages, Dafydd ap Gwilym to RS Thomas and more

I don’t know of any illustrated stand alone version of that.

There is this-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gwraig-Helynt-Taliesin-Cyfres-Cloch/dp/1845274911

But it is a children’s version, along with the tale of Taliesin, containing line illustrations. No idea what it is like.

The only thing I can think of is that it would be contained in illustrated versions of the Mabinogion (or at least a version of it).

Alan Lee illustrated Charlotte Guest version of the Mabinogion, but it doesn’t seem to be the easiest or cheapest thing to get hold of.

Margaret Jones illustrated another version based on The Gwyn Thomas version though, which seems more easily available and cheaper.

But I have no idea what that version is like- how much it is precied, as it were.

Fortunately, Leeds Central Library has an 1877 edition of Charlotte Guest’s work. Written in 1838 it is a truly beautiful book and must be worth a mint. This is taken from her introduction…“May you (her children) become early imbued with the chivalric and exalted sense of honour, and the fervent patriotism for which its (‘Gwyllt Walia’) sons have been ever celebrated…Your affectionate Mother…C.E.Guest”