The new "Challenges" and downloading

I’ve just come back to SSIW after an enforced gap, and have two questions. I’ve discovered there is now something called Challenges, is this the same as the old lessons but updated? I see the old lessons are still there. Which do you all suggest I follow?
Secondly can anyone suggest how I might down load the files in bulk rather than doing it lesson by lesson which takes ages!
Diolch yn fawr i chi gyd,
David

2 Likes

The new Level 1 and 2 are a complete rewrite of the old courses 1, 2 and 3. As such, some of the stuff in the older courses is not in those two levels, but there are a few bits and pieces in the new that weren’t in the old either. I don’t believe there’s a link for a bulk download, unfortunately. It’ll have to be a lesson at a time.

2 Likes

Huge thanks - I think I’ll transfer to the new challenges!

1 Like

I downloaded the app to my my phone and then downloaded a few challenges at a time as needed. All via wifi internet connection. It doesn’t seem to take long when I have a decent wifi signal.

2 Likes

That’s definitely what I’d recommend (and thanks for bringing this on to the forum!)… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi - Welcome back!
I started with the old Course and got stuck/bogged down at around Lesson 6 and came on the forum to see advice to try the challenges. I swapped to the challenges and found them to be more effective (although just as challenging!) Like John, I have an iPhone and download the app from the Appstore - which allows you to download the challenges to your phone for offline listening/practice. The files are not big so are pretty fast to download and don’t take too much storage, with the advantage that you can listen and practice when you are out and about :slight_smile: If you have an android phone I believe you can do the same thing.

2 Likes

I have booked a Cwrs Sylfaen Foundation Course in mid-May at nant gwrtheyrn - have done both old SSIW courses some time ago, have completed the Level 1 (new) challenges and am on no. 6 of the Level 2 challenges. (I also do Memrise and Duolingo). Could anyone who has perhaps been there give me some idea of how much further I need to go to know enough to be able to cope with the level of the course ? I would also be grateful for any comment on what the place is like to stay at if anyone has been there - I am going there by car from Northampton and at 78 will probably be the oldest learner they have ever had !

2 Likes

If you’ve done Course 1, Course 2, Level 1 and part of Level 2, I would expect you to be one of the most confident speakers in a Sylfaen group. You’ll find new bits of vocab and grammar here and there, of course, but your speech will easily be good enough for the group already… :slight_smile:

The Nant is a lovely place, and they’ve made the accommodation really good over the years - the drive down is a bit hairy (a hairpin bend at the top, but it’s got a good big wall now that stops you from having to lean over the edge staring in horror) but I would imagine you’ll love it… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr Aran - you have eased my anxiety somewhat, I am so looking forward to this course but was a bit apprehensive at the same time - thank you for your reassuring comment. Tina.

2 Likes