The Diolch! Thank you! thread

Diolch yn fawr! That makes this aged ddraig all choked up! And I’d be very surprised if anyone here who seriously wants to use more than a minimal amount of Welsh has not bought at least one of your books!

1 Like

Excellent! It’s stupidly pricey, I know, but I don’t have any say in pricing unfortunately…they won’t listen.

Glad you got it at a bit lower :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Late to the party here, but I also have to add my thanks to @garethrking! I have and have been very slowly working my way through Modern Welsh…I’m sure the vast majority has gone way over my head, but what I have absorbed has helped immensely!

4 Likes

Hi Gareth,

Do you have a quick guide for which book to buy? (I appreciate the titles are fairly self-explanatory)

1 Like

Do you mean which book for what purpose, @AnthonyCusack?

1 Like

I sympathise with anyone writing non-fiction judged by publishers to have a limited market! They decide that, since they won’t sell many, up goes the price! Of course, for books at uni, they end up sold second hand to first-years! If the prices were lower, they might be kept more often! I suppose this will never change, but it is a shame.

Sorry, yes I do.

I was rather horrified when I saw the price initially. If only publishers would realize they would sell more books if they weren’t so expensive! Too bad they won’t listen to input from the authors, who probably know a lot more about their target audience!

Slightly different one again this time:

Diolch i Jerry Hunter, for his programme on S4C - Evan Jones a’r Cherokee and for the inspiration that he is a dysgwr (fluent now) with a very native accent. I only realised he wasn’t Welsh when he spoke English with an American accent.

Originally from Ohio, he’s learnt Welsh, has worked for the pressure group Cymuned, and is a member of the Gorsedd o’r Beirdd. I do not know the man, I am merely saying thank you for a very interesting series and for inspiration as a learner.

2 Likes

@AnthonyCusack - I’m curious about that program (Evan Jones a’r Cherokee). Tried searching S4C for it but came up blank. What is it about?

I’m particularly curious because I have a CD that Delwyn Siôn gave me called “Chwilio am America” which, in a series of songs, follows a Welshman named William James who went to America in the late 1860’s and ended up a soldier in the US Seventh Cavalry under Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer, and was a sergeant at the Battle of Big Horn, where he was killed. (The album also has songs about Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull who led the Sioux Nation in that battle.)

It makes me curious about this other Welshman (Evan Jones) who had some interaction with the Cherokee?

That’s strange, I watched it on catch up.

Well, Evan Jones was a missionary to the Cherokee and he led a band of them on the Trail of Tears.

It has two episodes, I’m not sure if there are more.

In UK it is listed as having about a week to go on Clic. I would have thought it was of special interest in the USA, so am surprised if it’s not on International. In fact, I had a notion we discussed it back when it was first on S4C; Thinks…try searching Forum…yes found a number of references. Mostly from April last year, but not an exchange with you yet, so maybe it was someone else? If it isn’t on International, try e-mailing them to ask why not!!! After all, it is set in US, made by an originally US citizen (if he isn’t still!), about a Welsh American!

Exactly what I kept telling them. But of course, they have ‘experts’ who tell them different… :confused:

4 Likes

Well then, I would say - Colloquial Welsh for absolute beginners, with Basic Welsh coming in as a back-up. Dictionary, Intermediate Welsh and the Reader for the more confident. And Modern Welsh (the grammar) for headbangers and apprentice headbangers. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That’s perfect!! Diolch yn fawr! Wna’ i edrych arnyn nes ymlaen!

1 Like

I’ve gone for Intermediate Welsh as my leaving present from work (voucher). Diolch am eich cyngor!

4 Likes

My next diolch goes to Louise Waughington.

When I came back from Tresaith I decided best way to use the language in work was to wear the Cymraeg lanyard. Not a dysgwr lanyard, just the full blown, ambiguous one. And Louise didn’t disappoint. Day 1 - Monday after a week off, ka-blammo! Louise (nurse) starts handing over to me in Welsh. Since that day, she has tirelessly stayed in Welsh. It’s been brilliant! Sadly I haven’t worked with her all that often recently but when I am on her ward it’s always a pleasure! Especially at 11pm on Christmas Day!

Felly, diolch o galon Lou! Gobeithio byddwn ni’n gweithio gyda’n gilydd eto.

3 Likes

Where are you going Anthony? Well, I’m not that nosy - I just meant er… retiring, changing hospitals, going on a world tour with all your savings from huge NHS salary… :laughing: Being promoted to better job??
NB If you can be handed over to in Welsh, you are clearly totally fluent!!

2 Likes

I am not retiring at the age of 30…no matter how tempting at times! It’s a bit of a promotion. I’m moving back into working with adults in the same trust. So literally moving 100m away.

Diolch! Although, it’s a very Wenglish world, so my strive towards my self-defined fluency continues.

1 Like

No, 30 is a tad young! (I did it at 50, but was Consultant for 3 more years!). I had this notion you were a bit young for retirement and am glad you are not lost to NHS or to Cymru!!